News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large scale Gordon

Started by sodorisland121, October 21, 2017, 09:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodorisland121

I do not collect large scale, but last time we had a large scale model Thomas engine that was a tender engine, we had Emily. So, will Bachmann make large scale Gordon? I believe he will be IMMENSE!

TrainFan97

My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Chaz

James and Emily will probably be the only tender engines in the large scale range at this point.  Even then some would argue that despite her sales being well, Emily was a bit of a stretch for that range.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

sodorisland121

It can be possible, we might get Edward first. and in my opinion, about 5 years later: LARGE SCALE DAISY

JLK2707

I strongly doubt we will get a large scale bachmann edward due to the fact that he is no longer in the steam team.

sodorisland121

I thought that Edward stays at wellsworth now, Bachmann is making DIESEL for the large scale range. and HE is not on the steam team

Plow_Bender

Considering the number of times we've gone over this, I'm just going to copy and paste this time...

I've lost count the number of times we've gone over this, but Gordon and/or Henry having a chance in large scale is about as likely as Bachmann bringing back their K-27 in the Spectrum line.  What people are not getting is that the models are JUST TOO BIG!

Take Emily for example.  She is the largest engine in the Thomas range and is around 27" long with a wheel base length being roughly 14 1/2".  Bachmann's 10-wheeler locomotive is about 30" long and has a wheelbase length of about 12 1/2".  Bachmann's C-19 is 32" long, and has a wheel base length of 13 1/2".  Keep in mind that all wheelbase measurements are locomotives only and don't include the tender.  To paint the bigger picture here, Emily herself has a longer wheelbase than that of Bachmann's 4-6-0 10-wheeler or the 2-8-0 C-19.

Gordon and Henry are larger than Emily, and would be larger than her model if made in large scale.  What I'm sure many don't know, is that Bachmann's Thomas models are 1:22.5 scale, while other models in Bachmann's large scale range are about 1:20.3 scale.  Just because Bachmann made a 4-6-0 with their 10-wheeler means nothing, because Gordon and Henry would be bigger than that model anyways.  If Emily herself already has a larger wheelbase length than Bachmann's C-19, Gordon and Henry would be no different.  Larger wheelbases limit how tight of curves the models can negotiate.  Bachmann altered Emily's chassis with both front and rear axles on pony trucks, and also accommodated the tender coupling to pivot right behind the driving wheel and added 2 holes in the coupler to allow the tender to be spaced further back from the locomotive.

Unless you're someone with an actual garden railroad, most people who have the large scale Thomas models probably have the Bachmann steel alloy track and run their models indoors.  Bachmann's steel alloy track only offers 4' diameter curves.  Gordon and Henry would have a longer wheelbase than that of Emily's, and with little to no room to modify the chassis.  It's not as simple as just removing the flanges from the middle driving wheels.  Bachmann would not bother with modifying the chassis to work on 4' diameter curves, and most likely the models would instead require larger radius curves which are only available in brass track which cost more than steel alloy.  No one is going to go out and buy new track and/or start a new track system just to run 1 or 2 models.

Then you have price for the models, both production and retail costs.  Gordon and Henry would be too much for a lot of modelers out there and sales would be poor.  Emily herself is already $429 and considering that Bachmann's 4-6-0 models hover around the $475 range, Gordon and Henry could be anywhere from $550-$600 if not more.  Not everyone has that kind of money and it limits the number of sales.  Keep in mind that over the years, prices on Bachmann models have gone up and will continue to do so.  I'm sorry, but there just aren't enough positives with the models.

Edward being a tender engine gives him a slim to none chance of happening regardless how you look at it.  I had hopes of Edward for 2017 (just as I did for 2016), but after 2 years and the announcements we've had lately, I've lost hope for Edward in large scale.  I could honestly see characters like Rosie, Mavis, or even Arry and Bert having more of a chance than any models larger than that.  These days, size and/or reuse of tooling plays a big factor in a model being made and I know for a fact that's why we've gotten a lot of what we already have in the range. 

What everyone fails to understand is that the large scale market is dying, not just for Bachmann's Thomas range, but for their Big Haulers and Spectrum line as well.  Hell, the large scale market in general is bad even for Bachmann's competitors.  Many other manufactures that sell large scale have released very little the last few years, or even released nothing at all.  Some have even gone under and aren't around anymore.  I highly suggest that if you want to argue that claim, I recommend taking a look at a recent topic in the large scale forum and see what I'm talking about.  Like it or not, large scale only has a few years left.  You know it, I know it...

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,33756.0.html

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

TrainFan97

Couldn't have put it better myself. Just like the "Redesigned James" this topic is also getting out of hand.

So many people fail to understand that Large Scale is dying. Very few people can afford it. It's been discussed countless times that you're more likely to go out in a thunderstorm and dodge rain than to have Gordon and Henry in Large Scale. They are simply TOO BIG, and will NEVER be made in that scale.

Just the fact that Diesel is the first actual engine to be made in that range since Toby is a huge surprise.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

sodorisland121

We'll see if he's happening or not in a few years. I just ask a simple question, and you start a rage? How would you like it if I say "Large scale rocky coming soon!" and you will say "Impossible". As I say, nothing is impossible

TrainFan97

If nothing is impossible, then I guess Sam for Large Scale is inevitable! He has a very good chance, since nothing is impossible!

Don't be silly, I'm joking.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: TrainFan97 on October 22, 2017, 06:23:13 PM
If nothing is impossible, then I guess Sam for Large Scale is inevitable! He has a very good chance, since nothing is impossible!

Don't be silly, I'm joking.

At this point, Large Scale would be lucky enough just to get another engine besides Arry and Bert, which are almost inevitable at this point considering their tooling is already there.  If anything, many agree we will get something like Philip or Samson because they are smaller models and are less costly to make, hence why we got Winston.  With the direction the range has gone the last few years, there's no way Bachmann would make any engine larger than James, and even then that's a stretch for them.  From what I heard before the 2017 announcements were made, Bachmann wanted to do a tank engine, but instead we got Diesel.  That still makes sense though considering Diesel is about the size of engines such as Thomas and/or Toby.

When it comes to tender engines in large scale, I personally I feel like Bachmann regrets making Emily, simply because of her size.  She is after all the largest model in the range and has the highest RRP, which is understandable.  However, you could just about buy a Bachmann 4-6-0 Anniversary Edition for the same price, and on top of that you're getting lights, sound, smoke, and overall more detail with that model verses Emily.  Don't get me wrong, I really like Emily's model and I think she is the best one Bachmann introduced into large scale, but I have to agree that she was a stretch for the range.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

TrainFan97

At least you knew I was joking about Sam.

Emily is the largest model in the range, and she was a stretch. Sam isn't even a TV series character. He was made strictly for Wooden Railway. Bachmann CAN'T POSSIBLY make characters bigger than Emily for that range.

sodorisland121

OK, will arry and bert get made for the range? we have Diesel.

TrainandRockmusicfan97

Bill and Ben have a much bigger chance of being made in G-Scale than Gordon does.

sodorisland121

I love the bill and ben idea. they have a nice yellow color