conversion of a 4-6-2 Bachmann spectrum steam locomotive from DC to DCC

Started by sonny, October 25, 2017, 11:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonny

I have a subject locomotive that I wish to convert from DC to DCC but have no schematic or layout of the locomotive.  I prefer  information regarding how to safely take the locomotive apart so I can be sure the motor can be isolated, a decoder that might be used, and the wiring installation from the tender, where the decoder would be installed, and how to get power to the decoder as there are no power pickups in the tender or from the tender wheels.

Len

If there are no power pickups on the tender it's probably the older split frame 4-6-2. Instructions for installing a decoder can be found on the TCS site here: http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/K4_Pacific_4-6-2/bachman_n_scale_k4_pacific_4_6_2.htm

While they are showing a TCS decoder being installed, any decoder with the same approximate dimensions could be used.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

OR .... you could pay to have it installed, know it would work, and know that you didn't ruin the decoder and maybe the engine in the process! 😱😮😂

I've had about 20 installs done.  Maybe about 50 bucks labor vs. minimum $75 / $100 X 2 ruined decoder replacement and possibly another 150 / 200 for the engine.

Contracting that work out pays, for me.😎

guy57

AMEN brother, I did a Thomas SALTY locomotive...no tender, so everything had to fit in the loco. it took a while and I smoked a decoder in the process, but if you're up for a challenge then that's exactly what you'll get....Good luck and don't forget to ask for help if you hit a brick wall......there's a lot of experience on this website