what dcc systems allow running analog locomotives

Started by sarasdad, October 28, 2017, 04:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarasdad

I have more decoderless than equipped(two) my EZ command is unable to adjust cv.Dynamis allows that but will not run oldyr locpmotives. Sugestions please

Bucksco

You really should not run DC analog locomotives on a DCC layout.

dutchbuilder

To add to the comment.
It makes an awful high pitched noise and is detrimental for the motors.

Ton

sarasdad

I guess a better question is which reasonably pitced systen allows adjusting cv. Regarding my dc locomotives use a seperate track  for them.

jonathan

The most economical solution, for me, was to purchase a "SPROG II" device.  It is an interface between a programming track and my home PC and/or laptop.  The device was around $90 if memory serves.  

The programming software (JMRI) is free and must be downloaded to your computing device after you obtain a SPROG or similar device.

Then all you need is a section of track long enough to hold your longest locomotive.  The track is connected to the SPROG by two wires.  The SPROG interfaces with the computer with a USB-type connector (included in the SPROG package).

Once everything is up and running, you can program to your heart's content.  Not the most user friendly thing in the world, but I've seen worse.

Using this method, you can keep your EZ command to run the layout, and have a programming system separate from the layout.

That's how I do it anyway.

Regards,

Jonathan

Warflight

Myself, I use EZ Command, because I DO like running a DC on my DCC layout, because Bachmann says I can! (I'll run a Norris, or my Gandy Dancer... or if I get something new that isnb't DCC yet, I'll toss it up on the layout)

As for programming... I found a Digitrax PR3Xtra to be very useful, and it was only $40. I have a small bit of programming track on my desk that doubles as a display track. If I need to program something, I just toss it on the program track, fire up the PR3Xtra, and open up JMRI.

I plan to use that until Bachmann comes up with something better.

sarasdad

I am considering amrc prodigy explorer and using a selector to switch to my trvh y when Iwant to run the analog locos. :D :D

Piyer

Quote from: sarasdad on November 04, 2017, 08:57:10 AM
I am considering amrc prodigy explorer and using a selector to switch to my trvh y when Iwant to run the analog locos. :D :D

It would be safer to disconnect one system and then connect the other, or at least keep the unused one unplugged from the wall. It'll save a lot of agony the first time you accidentally fire up the DCC with analog locos on the track.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Len

I used an Atlas #205 'Connector' wired backwards on my HO test track when my repair shop was open. The track connected to the terminals the wiring diagram shows the power pack connected to. I had a DC power pack, a DCC system, and a 'Protosound' system connected to what were supposed to be the track terminals.

I put 3 small nails in the board it was mounted to, with a rubberband from each nail to it's corresponding switch to keep it in the 'OFF' position when not in use, and prevent accidentally turning more than one switch 'ON'.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Easy answer.  Commit to one system or the other.  And get rid of the non compliant engines. 
By the time you buy stuff to run a DC engine on DCC, you could have bought a DCC engine.