News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

LED headlight

Started by richdan, October 30, 2017, 02:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richdan

I just received the LED headlight and resistor set for the Annie from Bachmann Parts.   I need instructions on wiring that into the loco...polarity... where the resistor goes, etc.....very electronic/electrical ignorant.  Thanks.    Richdan

Hunt

Loco Bill Canelos

Richdan,

Don't be worried, if wired wrong nothing will blow up! It is a good idea to test things before soldering in the leads.  temporarily connect the leads as shown in the diagram, then set the loco on the track and add power going forward.  If the led lights up make the permanent connection.  If not just reverse the leads.

Go for it.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

richdan

Bill,
Thank you for your response, but......to which lead of the LED , anode or cathode, does the resistor attach?  Like I said...electronics ignorant.
Richard

JBSahnd

Connect the resistor to the cathode (short lead) on the LED.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_circuit

Loco Bill Canelos

JB nailed it.   beofre final soldering do the quick check to make sure it comes on while going forward, and you should be good to go.

Bill

richdan

JB,
Thanks for your response.  All the help is appreciated.
Richard

Joe Zullo

The resister can be attached to either the anode (+) or the cathode (-) and it limits the current and keeps the LED from blowing out. I myself always attach the resister to the anode (long  lead) but can verify it works on the short lead too.  ;)

Dr Who 12

The light on my annie tender burned out. Upon disassembly there wasn't a resistor installed . My E.B.T. 9000 series annie is only 1 yr. old with about 1 hr. of running time. Is this a new wiring system or was the resistor missed upon manufacture? I plan on ordering a new bulb assy. to repair my loco and do I need to install the resistor in the circuit?

Thanks in advance for helping with my repair.
  DrWho12

Loco Bill Canelos

DW12,

The resistor is probably there it is often hidden because the shrink wrap has shrunk around it.  feel all along the wires looking for a little bump.  That will most likely be the resistor. 

If there is no resistor you will definitely need to add one.

Bill

Dr Who 12

Thanks for the reply to my question Bill..

There wasn't a resistor in the wiring of the light probably causing the light bulb to fail.
  I ordered a replacement set of wires, bulb and resistor. I will install the resistor in the circuit when I
  repair it. I'll check one of my other locos for the proper location of thee resistor.

Thanks for info Loco Bill.

Greg Elmassian

You use the term "bulb" is this a led or a light bulb? Big difference and no resistor for a bulb normally.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Loco Bill Canelos

Greg is right, If it was a bulb that failed there would be no resistor, the resistor is only present when an LED is used in the housing.

So if you plan on adding an LED as a replacement for a bulb you will need the resistor.