News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

replacing ez command

Started by Mr. C, October 29, 2017, 02:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. C

I would like to replace my ez command setup with a better system.I'm looking for something inexpensive and EASY to use.I have a 5amp power booster(Bachmann) I still want to use. I also want to still plug in my dc controller into the new system so I can still run dc loco's

Trainman203

1.  EZ command is not an inferior system.  It is an entry level one with limited functions.  It served me well for a year until I wanted more out of it than it was designed to handled.

2.  Brother Google is your friend when searching for something.

3.  Join the forums that uniquely discuss NCE, digitrax, and MRC, who appear to be the primary systems outfits.  They are all populated by friendly people who enjoy answering beginner questions.  The Bachmann forum is not the place to discuss non Bachmann products.  Bachmann may offer a more advanced DCC system.  If there is one, someone post about it.

4.  Unfortunately, in general, components by one DCC manufacturer are not cross-compatible with those by another.  If you choose another product besides Bachmann, you can use the EZ command to supply constant voltage D.C. to operate layout lighting, etc.

ACY

Quote from: Mr. C on October 29, 2017, 02:16:37 PMI also want to still plug in my dc controller into the new system so I can still run dc loco's
No DCC system offers this feature. You have to convert your analog locomotives to digital or just swap the controllers. The red feeder wire can be plugged in to either the EZ-Command, the Dynamis or the standard analog controller.

Maletrain

The wiring on a layout can be powered by a DCC controller or a Dc controller, but not both at the same time.  For simple layouts, some people set them up so that there is a double-pole-double-throw electrical switch that connects the 2 layout feeder wires to either their DCC or DC controller, so that they can run one type of locomotive or the other at different times.  One down-side to that is that some DCC controllers can be damaged by plain DC power.  So, you need to be careful what is on your layout when you swap power/control systems - no matter whether you do it with a dpdt switch or by unplugging one and plugging in the other.

As you probably know, running a layout with DC means that you cannot independently control two or more locomotives on the same electrically connected pieces of track.  So, complex layouts designed for DC control typically have many isolated track areas with their own controllers so that more than one train can be run on the layout at the same time with independent control to each.  Layouts that are set-up for DC can be run with DCC, but there is a tendency to interconnect track segments that were isolated for use with DC.  If those segments are connected when you run DCC, then you would need to think carefully about what that would mean when switching back to multiple controllers for use with DC, again.  For one thing, the direction control switches used for DC, while unneccesary for DCC, can make short-circuits if two isolated segments are connected for DCC operation and the DC reversing switches are set to opposite directions across an insulated track gap.

Trainman203

Well said.  It's probably best to make the choice between D.C. and DCC and standardize.  In general, locomotives that come equipped with DCC and sound are better products mechanically and detail-wise.  In my thinking, it's better to cull the DC herd and keep only the few very best D.C. Engines for conversion, and start over with a new roster of DCC engines.  Many older D.C. engines are difficult to convert to D.C. for a variety of reasons.  Starting over is expensive but I must say, from experience, there is no
comparison between D.C. and DCC for replication of prototypical multi-locomotive operation AND control of sound.

Joe323

That's what I did I relegated the DC locomotives to the display shelf when I replaced the EZ Command with an upgraded competitors product which would not run DC Anyway.  Problem is what to fo if you have a lot of DC only locos.  I suspect that hard wiring a decoder into a locomotive not designed for DCC is challenging on one locomotive let alone a whole fleet.

WTierce1

I agree with many of the guys here that the E-Z Command is a fantastic little system that is great for beginners who just need something that works - and works well.

Based off of what your current desires are in your system, I would personally suggest the Digitrax Zephyr. It's an all in one system that has ways to accomplish what you'd like. You can still use your power booster with it - I would really recommend it anyway, as power output is the only real complaint I have had with it.

The Zephyr system has connections that allow you to connect up to two standard DC controllers to, and basically use them as throttles for two different locomotive addresses. The button on the Zephyr that controls this is labeled 'Jump.' This includes the '00' address that allows the operation of DC locomotives, just as button 10 on the E-Z Command - or when you connect the secondary throttle. (I've done it - mainly because when you do it allows you to use button 10 as a standard DCC locomotive button instead of the analog control.)
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Hunt

Anyone considering Digitrax --- take into account the  Zephyr DCS50 was discontinued  in 2010 and replaced with the Digitrax Zephyr Xtra DCS51.

Mr. C

Thank you all for your info. I will proceed to figure it out. i purchased the Bachmann wireless system dynamis.

Trainman203

You won't regret it.  One great suggestion I heard once is to try the new system out on a test track or loop before installing it permanently on the layout.