News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Running dcc engine on dc

Started by Vizzin72, November 07, 2017, 09:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vizzin72

Hello,

I have two trains with soundtraxx decoders (Bachmann engines that came with) I tried running them at my brothers house because I am making a dc layout for my niece, they would not run.  I am aware that they may need to have a CV ADJUSTMENT (I think it is cv 28) but my specific question is :

When I apply dc power (16-19 volts) the lights start blinking uniformly.  Is this a default alert of some kind to the user that they are not configured for dc or is it some kind of high voltage protection safety?

Thank you

jonathan

Vizzin,

Your suspicion is correct.

When you place a DCC/Sound locomotive on a DC layout, and apply power, this is what happens:

The headlight/s come on. Also, some sounds may activate--usually an engine idle or compressor.  When too much power is applied, the lights will flash 10 or 11 times, to indicate over supply of current. Then the loco will shut down, temporarily, to protect itself.

I can't remember if it's CV 28 or 29, but you can program the decoder for dual mode--enabling the decoder/locomotive to respond to DC power.

Regards,

Jonathan

Vizzin72

Yeah yeah I got some real quick noise/sound.  Thank goodness to the safety feature. 

Most of the decoders I installed had dc operation by default apparently then.  It was only these two factory installed that did this ... thank you !!

Hunt

All Bachmann locomotives with factory installed sound decoders are configured dual mode.  If yours are not they were changed after they left the factory.

What is the value of CV 12 and CV 29? (CV 28 is not a supported CV for Bachmann factory equipped DCC decoders.)

Count the number of times the headlight flashes before it repeats the pattern.

Some examples,

10 is  Over-Voltage Fault - An over-voltage fault indicates that the track voltage is greater than 22 volts. This error sometimes occurs around 19 volts. 

16 is CVs Reset to Default  This code is informational only and indicates that all CVs have been reset to their factory defaults.

Trainman203

A conversation you don't want to hear:

Model railroader 1:  "does your engine have a smoke unit?
Model railroader 2:  "no"

😮😱😫. 😂😂😂

Vizzin72

I may have set 29 to something other than 6 back when I first got them I don't remember ... unfortunately I can't read them I will just have to re program them because my command station doesn't read

Hunt

While all Bachmann locomotives factory equipped with sound decoder can be run using DCC or DC power, not all have a CV 29 default value of 6.

Vizzin72