News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann class j poor linkage

Started by Aronxj32, November 12, 2017, 04:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aronxj32

Hi everyone I'm new here but not new to the hobby. I pick up a class j n scale from modeltrainstuff mbklein. It a great loco. Excellent pulling power my pulls 14 passenger cars up my 3.64% grade. But there's one problem. The side rod linkage keep s falling apart the first time it happened one my first class j then I thought it was a bad model, so I brought a new one. Two months later same thing has happened again. So I sent both for repair 90$ out my bank account.  Week later got my two babies back. One was missing parts runs like crap. The other runs fine until the linkage to the Pistons broke again!!! Has anyone else had this problem.

Bucksco

Contact the service department and discuss the problem with the service manager. They will make it right.

Aronxj32

I did I was told that they can no longer fix the locomotive because it discontinued and no part are available. The is really disappointing

kewatin

aron, it sounds like you have had both these 2 models less than a yr.you didn't give a time frame?
if you look at BACHMANNS warranty ,it stated your locos would be covered for 1 year with proof of purchase. why did you send any money to begin with?give laura harris a call at customer service and she will make it right. would you settle for another type loco? as  there are no parts. i have had to accept another type in place of my original, but at least they have and do offer to please there customers. you have to be a little flexible in your wants. better to have 2 locos replaced with 2 alternate types that work,than 2 that don't. i along with others here on the forum have been very satisfied with
BACHMANNS service dept &warranty over the many yrs  of buying their products.give them a call explain the situation and be polite and i am sure you will be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.
regards&later  KEWATIN

Aronxj32

I pass   I really like the class j . Everything bachmann make now I don't like expect the Berkshire. But they are out my budget right now. The service and warranty is good and all, but I rather not . The class j and the em1 are the only ones I like.  Shame one of the greatest loco no longer available in n scale.

Rocket_Scientist

Something doesn't sound right here. The Class J does not show as discontinued and there are plenty of parts available on the parts department page for this model. Nothing indicates discontinued. This sounds like the older white box or "special edition" version which has been gone for some time. With the warranty there should have been no problem with a replacement if they didn't have the parts to fix. Hmmmmm

kewatin

rocket science, i don't think it was the older white boxed model .as i am into M.B KLEIN all the time and they don;t sell stock that old.they at present have no listings at all for the J. in aronx's favour,i did check BACHMANN'S parts stock ,and yes there are no power cylinder parts available. out of stock/ it does sound strange ,as he said he sent $90 along with his 2 locos for repair.perhaps he is a younger person & disposed his warranty card &sales receipt. bachmann's service has always sent back my loky saying it was bench run &ok. one thing i have noticed over the yrs is that the sleeve in the original packing that slides over the jewel case will interfear with the linkage if not carefull.this has happened to me on a few occasions with my heavy mts,and i have had to put the linkage back with considerable patience.now i just leave the sleeves off.as most of us know in N SCALE  modelling ,because of its size one must be carefull.also i don't understand his reasoning about accepting another model or models of same value,rather than have original investment of 2 models plus $90 for repair services and still have 2 models that don't work i have had the service dept step up and replace a heavy mtn loco with a 2-10-2,because of no stock to fix. to use your cliche its not rocket science as to what i would do in his case.i guess in closing some folks have money to burn/ regards&later KEWATIN

Aronxj32

Nope the model is a is the 2006 version spectrum. I really like the loco.  I willing to buy another one later to give it one more chance. Well as the new 2-8-0

Aronxj32

The reason I didn't get another locomotive is because the class j the only one I like. Bachmann doesn't really make anything I like right now. Like a new 2-10-2 or 2-10-4. I want the two J's back cause I thought I could fix it. I just hope they make a future run of the queen of steam.