News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Seeking These Features in an HO Steam Loco

Started by Emric66, November 14, 2017, 07:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emric66

Good evening,

I am in the market for a steam locomotive to propel me back into the hobby.

My local merchant has graciously let me borrow your catalog so I can check out the steam locomotives and the following desired traits found in one to order through him:

-DCC on board/ready
-smoke
-light
-sound (not a deal breaker)
-$200.00 or under

I am seeing a LOT of attractive offerings, but only one meets all of these traits...your new Baldwin model that is not out yet.

I am not running DCC yet but will likely switch before too long.  Can you recommend a model that perhaps I am overlooking?

Thanks!

Joe323

If you skip the smoke (which looks unrealistic and tends to make an oily mess on your track you'll have lots of choices

West Bound

I agree with Joe. I have had several steam  engines over the years that smoked. None of them looked real even one with smoke synchronized with the chuff sounds. All of them maked a mess on the engine and the layout. I recently purchased a new loco that has synchronized smoke and have never turned the smoke option on. Waste of money.

Trainman203

Yardmaster, what "new Baldwin Model" is "not out yet?"

Emric66

Thank you, fellow engineers, for the thoughtful responses.  I purchased # 51602 from my retailer, the Santa Fe 0-6-0 to hold me over while I make the switch to DCC, then plan to purchase a higher end model next year.  The retailer had made similar comments about the smoke prior to the echoes from your responses, so I tend to hold consistent opinions in high regard !

The Baldwin model I mentioned that is not available yet is one that the same retailer showed me in the Bachmann Catalog and then called about; he was told it was not available yet, with no timetable offered.  I don't have the catalog in front of me to give you the item #, but it was an illustration in the catalog instead of an actual photo.

RAM

Well think small, like 2-8-0, 4-6-0, no bigger than 2-8-2, or 4-6-2

Trainman203