News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

American 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive

Started by cherriandbob, November 17, 2017, 11:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cherriandbob

Newbie here looking for help in finding a replacement for my husband's probably 50+ years train set.  Last year the motor on the locomotive got overheated and now we need a replacement.  Looking for guidance on where to look or recommended replacement.  The train set is a Bachmann HO Scale, Authentic 4-4-0 Loco.  It is red with gold trim and lettering and a Jupiter.  Thanks in advance.

Cherri
Moores Hill, Indiana

Flare

Bachmann still makes 4-4-0 Jupiters, Not sure the colors are the same though.

You may need to swap the tender coupler as well since his set probably uses horn hooks instead of knuckle couplers.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=258_276

Terry Toenges

Don't let the price on the Bachmann page scare you off. You can get them for a little over $60 if you do some Googling. "Thefavoritespot.com" has them for $61.36 or check EBay. There are some on EBay.
Like Flare said, you have to be aware of what type of coupler you have/want. The locos with the knuckle couplers are the newer ones. The knuckle couplers have little curved pieces hanging down, open and close, and they are generally brown. The horn hooks are the old style. They are one piece couplers and usually black.
Feel like a Mogul.

cherriandbob

Thanks for the replies.  I have seen the Jupiter in a blue, but his is black and red.  I'll look at the couplers I am pretty sure they are black.  Google here I come!