News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

More power?

Started by tangocharles, November 20, 2017, 06:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tangocharles

I've recently bought the Bachmann HO scale EZ Track Train Set for my Christmas setting. I bought several additional pieces of track due to the size of the display. I also bought a graduating scale set of brackets allowing for an over/under figure 8 configuration.

Running the locomotive by itself appears to be fine and it scoots around the track as expected. However, as soon as I hook up the tinder box, the locomotive can barely pull it around the track. I also have 5 other cars and the locomotive will not pull all of them.

Have I bought and implemented too much track for the power supply that came with the package? I'm relatively new to this hobby so I may be missing some basic.

I'll say I added 15 or so pieces of track. Do I have a power supply issue? If so, how do I correct the problem?

Flare

Do the tender/cars have too much resistance in their wheels?

I had that problem with a set of cars I bought once.  Replacing the wheels made them roll better.

Another thing that may help is cleaning the rails, even new ones can have oxide buildup on them.  (rubbing alcohol on a lint-free cloth will work in a pinch if you don't have track/wheel cleaning fluid)

If the cars roll freely and cleaning the track doesn't help, perhaps your layout is a bit too long and it's losing power.  Using a second terminal rerailer on the opposite side of the layout might do the trick, Bachmann makes a 10-foot extension cable so you can connect both terminal tracks to your speed controller.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=879_604_782_784&products_id=2515

Terry Toenges

Which set did you buy so we know which loco you have? Is it doing that on the flat part, too or when you go up?
Feel like a Mogul.

tangocharles

It's the 0-6-0 Locomotive, if I understand the documentation. Yes, mostly on the grade. Right now, it'll never pull all the cars. I was given some advice on adding a derailer which I may give a shot. Relocating the one derailer that I have to a more centralized location worked better on the flats, but still not enough for the grade.

Like I said, I'm new to this hobby and have quite a bit to figure out.

Any feedback or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

jonathan

Actually, it sounds like your grade is too steep.  Are the locomotive wheels slipping as you go up and over?  The 0-6-0 is a small locomotive and no amount of throttle is going to help it climb a steep grade. The idea is to have a gradual rise; something less than 3% (three inches of rise for every 100 inches of travel) is probably workable for this loco.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

I will second what JOnathan says. I have several of the 0-6-0 locomotives. They pull well enough, but won't pull much on the upgrade portion  of my layout. My steepest incline is 4%, which limits pulling power to about 1/6 of what it will pull on the level. If you are using the ez track pier set for your incline, the grade is even steeper than 4%. If you want to pull your whole train around the track, you'll have tio make the hills less steep.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA