News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann S2, DCC ready

Started by maassmi, November 22, 2017, 08:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maassmi

I just purchased a S-2 that is DCC ready via eBay.  The model appears to be new in the box as I could not see any wheel wear and the coupler hoses have not been adjusted.  What I am wondering is which DCC chips can be used in this model?  I normally use the Digitrax DCC chip finder program to find a Digitrax chip, but none are listed for this model.  I normally use Digitrax because the model train club I joined uses a Digitrax system.  If another non-sound chip can be used, which one(s)?  I plan on running it with my DCC/sound S2 that I already have, so I do not need sound in both models.....   Thank you.

Flare

I don't have that model, but looking at its diagram it appears to have an 8-pin socket for a decoder.

Can you confirm that and tell us how much space is available inside the shell?

maassmi

I was hoping to not have to remove the shell until it was time to install the chip.  From what I have gleaned from this forum, someone else had the same or similar question.  He decided to use an n scale chip with a long wire harness after trying an HO chip which would not fit under the shell and the n scale chip with the short wire harness did not allow the chip to find a "hiddy hole", but he was successful with the long wire harness.

Flare

Digitrax makes a VERY small decoder with long wires called the DZ126T, I used it in a loco with almost no room inside and it works wonderfully.

Doesn't have an 8-pin plug though, but you can take one from another decoder if you have to.

They also have a decoder model called the DH165IP which is a small circuit board that plugs directly into the loco's decoder socket.

maassmi

I am looking to use the  DH165IP  chip or a z scale chip that fits.  I will let you know after I get a chip that works.

Flare

Quote from: maassmi on November 22, 2017, 10:38:56 PM
I am looking to use the  DH165IP  chip or a z scale chip that fits.  I will let you know after I get a chip that works.

The DZ126T is Z scale.  ;)

maassmi

That chip does not seem to be listed on their website any more.  I guess it is no longer available, unless it is brand new?

maassmi

Okay, I found it as well finally.  That DZ chip is for hard wiring.  My model is DCC ready and other chips are less expensive than this one.

indian_hills_r_r

I had the same problem with my CP s2 from Bachmann. I got a decoder with no medium plug on it. found a place that sells the medium plug and soldered the medium onto the wires of the decoder and it works great. you should be careful when soldering and be sure to look at the wiring diagram for medium plugs. hope this helps