News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann N Scale 2-8-8-4 B&O

Started by majordadsage, November 24, 2017, 02:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

majordadsage

I bought 2-8-8-4 a couple of weeks ago...it runs great and I have added sound...my only issue is the drive linkage....I understand that proper handling of these units is critical.....I read somewhere that the boiler and tender shell are the best for picking up these units....now, I may have or may not have caused this issue....but, the unit runs fine in forward...even at a slow creep.  However, the linkage seems to bind up in reverse.  It does this every once in a while in forward at very slow speed.  I understand that it is probably the associated with the valve gear....is this something that I can address or, should I send it in a let Bachmann repair it....it isn't under warranty...

Thanks in advance for any response/advice

spookshow

Given the complexity of steam locomotive running gear (along with Bachmann's somewhat casual tolerances), it is not uncommon for one or more of the cranks to be a little wonky (bent) and cause a bind. What I do in situations like that is run the locomotive "wheels up" on my workbench. With the wheels turning slowly you can usually eyeball the bind and then tweak the offending crank as needed.

-Mark

majordadsage

Thank you Mark.....It is running great going forward.....going to try your suggestion to see if I can find the problem for backing up. :)......