News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train Switching rail track.

Started by SBLegocity, November 24, 2017, 05:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBLegocity

Ok, First of all I'm building a large Lego City.  Yes, it's not Bachmann or normal electric train set.  Never the less I still need some basic understanding of proper controls to set my Lego trains up like a regular electric train.

Question:
Can anyone explain to me or get me the schematics of how the normal Electric train switch track?  How it works and operates?  How current gets switched to keep the train moving and not shorting out the track or train motors.

FYI:  I understand basic electronics.  It is my understanding though if the two currents touch than it'll short out  Hence, why I'm trying to understand how to reconfigure my Lego switch track.  To ensure safe/smooth operation.

FYI:  My city has it's own facebook if interested.   Search: Lego city dream build.
I would provide the link but I don't desire to offend anyone.

Flare

I used to run L gauge trains, I'll help you all I can.

First tell me about the layout:  Are the tracks basically arranged in a circle, or will the layout feature a 'reverse loop' or two that allow the train to go the opposite direction?

I assume you will be running the 9v or RC generation of trains rather than the earlier ones.

If your trains are only going in circles then you shouldn't need to worry about shorting anything out.  Even if you're using powered rails, going through a turnout against the points won't hurt anything because the points have springs that let them return to their former position and the points won't come in contact with opposing polarity.

If you're using powered track with reverse loops, you're entering the realm of gapped rails, block wiring, and relays.  Which can be done in L gauge.