News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

90036 chassis replacement polar express.

Started by Vince1966, December 04, 2017, 12:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince1966

Hi everyone, I purchased a polar express 90036 train in 1999, seen use for xmas with the kids, it was only run a few years, I'm looking to repair it from my kids breaking a few parts, the front guide truck on the loco for the power is cracked, anyone know if this is available? Also the tender truck was broken from the tender, the mount post is snapped, what chassis replacement will work there also, I'm not seeing 90036 chassis available. Seems one of the gears is slipping because it has a hard time pulling the cars and sometimes won't at all. Possible gear issue? Thanks in advance

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Vince,

Any of the Big Hauler chassis will work fine on your loco.  The only differences might be variations in the paint on the wheel rims and cylinders.  I definitely recommend a chassis replacement if you are sure the gears are the problem.  If you can hear the motor running but the loco is not moving  then it is a gear problem. Either chassis 90088 or 90094 will work fine, and are on sale.

Check out this link:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30394.msg224039.html#msg224039

As for the tender, chassis are available in the online store.  They come without trucks, but include the sound unit and speaker and are somewhat expensive.   If the tender truck is ok you could repair the tender chassis by going to a hobby shop and buy a round plastic strip of the same size ast the mounting post an drilling out the chassis and epoxying the new post in its place.  If you still have the broken post, you could also try epoxying it back on the chassis. If you do this carefully it should work ok. I have done this on a freight car for a friend and It has held up for many years.

Good luck with your repair, there were not that many Polar Express sets made and it is definitely worth making the repairs.

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Vince1966

Thank you for your reply. I will get the new chassis. I am missing one of the tender trucks and wheels and the post is broken. Are replacement trucks available? I did not find any links to schematics yet with part numbers. The Bachman web site is vast.

Thanks again.
Vince

Loco Bill Canelos

Vince,  You are welcome!

While not cheap, here is a link to the tender chassis with trucks:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_671_669&products_id=5291

If you need to get things going before christmas this may be your best bet.   There is always Ebay!  Actually there are several on Ebay right now fairly cheap.  Look at this one for $10 bucks just take the top of yours off and put it on this chassis:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bachman-Bighaulers-White-Pass-Coal-Car-Tender-hopper-car/332462360773?hash=item4d684d08c5:g:Zq0AAOSw0W5aGlc4

Good Luck1

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!