Bachmann G Scale brass track compatibility with steel alloy track

Started by Duluth, December 04, 2017, 08:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duluth

Can Bachmann G scale brass track be used with Bachmann steel alloy track in the same layout? Thanks!

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Duluth,

It is possible, but not for outdoors use because the steel track would rust away.  To do it you would have to remove the pins on the ends of the steel track then use rail clamps to clamp the brass track to the steel track.  You might also have to shim the steel track so the top lines up with the brass track, not sure though.  I f you can afford it I strongly recommend going with all brass track.   Combining the two types will only lead to trouble in the long run.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Duluth

Good afternoon Loco Bill,

The reason I asked is that my 12-year-old son already has 6 straight and 12 curved pieces of steel alloy, and has asked for more track for Christmas. I was hoping that the two could be mixed because I'd rather that he used brass track from here on.

Thanks,
Duluth

Loco Bill Canelos

Well you could use brass, but lots of steel track and switches can be found on Ebay pretty reasonably, so if indoors is all he does then all steel is OK.  I have seen several large indoor layouts using all steel alloy track.   
If cost is not the problem then you could fork out the bucks for all brass, and peddle the track you have on Ebay.  Or, As I said they could be mixed temporarily using the track clamps.   If the track is taken up and down over the year, brass is probably best overall, and would allow setting up outside if desired.

Lots of options, but you will have to decide which way works best for you based on you situation!  Hopefully you are having a great time with him and his trains!!!!! 8).

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!