Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help wanted

Started by Brutalfly, December 06, 2017, 12:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brutalfly

I need some help.
I am really new to the train scene.
My in-laws a couple of years ago gave us a Bachmann Train Set for our kids.
It happened to be the BACHMANN WHITE CHRISTMAS EXPRESS model train set (#00609) HO SCALE.
It has ran the past couple of years.
Then this year I have gotten it out and it will barely move or run.
I took the base off of it to see if there was anything in it and noticed that the two white axles were broken. They had cracks in them.
So we packed it back up and don't know what to do now.
Is there any advice you can give me?
Do all HO scale trains work with this track or just Bachmann?
I have noticed that trains can be very pricey brand new and I don't know enough about them to look for them on ebay.
Just kinda trying to figure things out.
Any help would be great.
Thanks for your time!

Trainman203

First thing to do is upload some pictures of the problem.

Model trains like being run all the time.  They don't like being packed up for long periods of time.  Electrical parts and track oxidize and lubricants congeal and dry out.

jonathan

Brutalfly,

There is a "White Christmas Express Train Set" in 'G' Scale. I could be wrong, but I don't know of this set in HO.  Are the trains large? takes two hands to put the locomotive on the track?

In HO, the Xmas sets come with a small 0-6-0 switcher steam loco. Can easily reach around the whole loco with one hand. I ask because white axles don't sound familiar.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Brutalfly

Thank you for your answers. I appreciate them.
The set that I am talking about is similar to the one in this link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BACHMANN-WHITE-CHRISTMAS-EXPRESS-model-train-set-00609-HO-SCALE-EUC/401438502949?epid=2255409849&hash=item5d77997025:g:y78AAOSwR2RaA1uH

I am going to see if I can get the part picture loaded. I borrowed the picture from
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_155&products_id=1565

The two white pieces on the ends are broken, they have cracks that run the length of them. Not the middle gear. So every time it runs it pops loose and the wheels come out of the white thing holding it together.

jonathan

OK, I get it now.

You have an early generation set (old like me).  The newer locomotives do not use the plastic axle set up anymore.  There are no replacement parts available, and the new parts will not fit your older locomotive.

I hate to say it, but you may be out of luck. You could buy one of the new 0-6-0 locomotives. They are black, not painted in Xmas colors.  Occasionally, there are used 0-6-0s on eBay for less than $50.

I have heard of a few folks trying to put some superglue in those cracked axles.  Don't know if that'll work. But it doesn't hurt to try. 

Regards,

Jonathan

Brutalfly

Thank you everybody for your answers and knowledge.
I appreciate it.
Jonathan I think I might try the super glue thing to see if it works.

Also I was wondering if any HO scale train would fit or work on that track or does it have to be a 0-6-0 locomotive?

Len

Any HO locomotive that will operate on the sets curves should work. The only issue might be the couplers, depending on how old your set is, but it's usually not that hard to switch them to be the same type.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Post a photo of the coupler on the end of the car.  We can help you there.

A new locomotive will look better and probably run a whole lot better.  You probably are not running DCC.   Check the train discount houses for "DC" engines. You can probably get a new 0-6-0 (or 2-6-0 or 2-6-2, the same engine  with added front/rear idler wheels) for less than the time and effort needed to revive your present engine.  There are other DC engines too, both steam and diesel.  The old engine can make a nice static display or can be a source for still interchangable parts. . 

Trainman203

You could even buy a new 0-6-0 and swap the boiler and tender shells with the old one, so you still
have a Christmas engine.