News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Whitcomb sound

Started by SoCalBobS, December 06, 2017, 05:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBobS

Got my Whitcomb last week.  Got a question about the sound: all seems to be in working order, except maybe one thing.  Is there an acceleration factor for the engine noise? Mine produces an idle noise, and an in motion noise, but the in motion noise stays at the same rpm regardless of the speed.

Otherwise it's just great, just curious why the engine noise doesn't reflect speed, like steam chuffs for the steam locos.
Still learning, step by step.

Flare

If you're using DCC and have a controller that can change CVs, try increasing CV 116.

Aside from the sound files, the CV list appears to be identical to my Heisler's sound module, and CV 116 is for exhaust control/chuff rate.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/images/bachmann/pdf/bachmann_on30_whitcomb_spc.pdf

SoCalBobS

Thanks Flare, I gave CV116 a try with different values, didn't hear a change.  I'll keep checking on forums.
Still learning, step by step.

p51

I tried all kinds of things and the sound didn't change on mine, either.
That, and the muffled quality of the sound due to the heavy and thick body on the Whitcomb, makes for so-so sound (especially compared to my ten-wheelers, which sound great).
-Lee

Stevelewis

Quote from: p51 on December 08, 2017, 10:45:38 AM
I tried all kinds of things and the sound didn't change on mine, either.
That, and the muffled quality of the sound due to the heavy and thick body on the Whitcomb, makes for so-so sound (especially compared to my ten-wheelers, which sound great).

I have  just  purchased  another  Whitcomb  before  they  all disappear!  Just  fitted  the  sound  module  but  once  again  I am  a little  disappointed  with  the running  sound....did  anyone  ever  get  any  CV info  to  enable  the  running  sound  to  be  improved,  I sent  an email to   Soundtraxx  a  couple  of  years  back  now  when  I  fitted sound  to  earlier  Whitcombs, but  never  received  a  reply!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

p51

I really like the sound in my On30 ten-wheelers but generally I was disappointed with the Whitcomb sound...
-Lee