News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring help needed ASAP

Started by rstroud, December 07, 2017, 02:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rstroud

I have a Bachmann Item# 52401  HO 2-8-4 Berkshire Steam Loco DCC/Sound that the wiring between the loco and tended has pulled out of both harness plugs. I have purchased both replacement 2 pin and 4 pin plugs with harness, but I cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere that shows which wire goes where. The circuit board/decoder board inside the tender says soundtraxx. All the wires I am speaking of (there are 6 total) connect to this board, but I have no way of know how to match up to the new harnesses. Can anyone help? If so, email me at rstroud66@gmail.com.

rstroud

I have identified the functions of the wires on the decoder side with the help of Tsunami, but still uncertain which pin does which function on the loco side with the female plug receptacle. I was told to test with a 3 volt battery, but want to be certain not to fry the board....any help appreciated.

WoundedBear

Test with a multimeter to identify your circuits. The plugs will contain left and right rail pickup and the motor and lighting leads. Use the continuity function to determine what is connected to what.

Sid

rstroud

I am not very educated with electrical....what I have are all the wires (a set of 2 going to a male plug and a set of 4 going to a male plug). The loco has the female connectors for these wired plug to go into. It is on the loco side that I do not know which pins in the female connectors do what function. If that makes more sense??

WoundedBear

It makes perfect sense. So does my initial reply to you. Bachmann does not publish schematics for their locos, so the multi-meter is about the only way to accurately trace your circuits. EG: one lead on the right pickups and use other lead to check which pin completes the loop. Most multi meters have an audible beep when checking continuity.

Buy a cheap multi meter and read the directions for continuity testing.

Sid

indian_hills_r_r

I have somewhat the same problem with my Bachmann 4-6-2 except I only had to work with the 2 wire connector. I am going to say that if Bachmann follows their normal wiring the 2 wire connector is the rail pickups. one for the left rail and one for the right rail. hope this helps

rstroud

Unfortunately no wiring diagram comes with the harnesses. Bachmann is very difficult to get information from. Told me the engines are built in China therefore no schematic is available. I have shipped the engine back to them for repair. Will see how it goes. If not well, it will be my last Bachmann purchase.