News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

C-19 Decoder

Started by jrmelton43, October 19, 2017, 04:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrmelton43

Hello, group! I have a new C_19 Bumble Bee, and I would like to know if anyone can recommend a decoder that will plug in to its factory 2110 socket. Have you installed that decoder, and can you share any info about the install? Thank you!

Kevin Strong

Are you looking specifically for a DCC decoder, or just a 3rd-party RC control system?

Airwire makes a plug-and-play board for the C-19 that gives you motor and light control (no sound), but it also features an easy interface with the Phoenix sound system.

The Revolution R/C system is also plug-and-play with the C-19, but you may need to jumper the power from the battery to the pins going to provide +V and Ground to the locomotive. The early Revolution boards do not pass this power. I don't know if the new (sound-equipped) versions do. Revolution has released new steam sounds which are an improvement over the original version, but it's still not yet "Phoenix" quality sound.

If you're looking for a plug-and-play DCC decoder, that's a taller order. QSI's "Titan" and older-generation "Magnum" boards came with pins designed for the Aristo/Bachmann socket, but those boards are no longer in production and are difficult to find. Zimo and ESU make sound/motor decoders which have pin interfaces, but I don't believe they're compatible with the Aristo/Bachmann socket. (Different number of pins.) Having said that, you should have an interface board included with your C-19 which plugs into the socket and has a bunch of wires sticking out of it. You can use that to turn any DCC (or other) controller into one that would simply plug into the socket. Plug the interface board into the socket, then connect the wires to the appropriate terminals on the decoder.

Later,

K

jrmelton43

Thanks for the reply, Kevin.  MY original message/question wasn't well-stated.  I'm looking for a decoder for my c-19 that will run on analog/DC, track power, only.  I don't use DCC.  Knowing that, can you recommend a decoder that I can reasonably easily install in my c-19 2110 socket? Thank you for your help. Jim

StanAmes

Minor correction to Kevins email

Zimo does indeed sell a DCC decoder that plugs directly into the the Bachmann socket and also had a C19 sound file.

Jim

I am not sure what you desire.   Since you are running DC track power  you have no need for a decoder that plugs in the socket.

Are you instead asking for a sound board for your C19 that is designed for DC operation and just plugs in?

I do not believe one exists in part because the socket also interfaces to the motor and lights.  If a sound board is what you desire I believe your best bet is to use a sound board with wires that solder to the the C19 main board such as the one designed by Phoenix.

You can use the Zimo DCC decoder as it runs on DC but you would have to have it programmed for you and it is likely overkill for DC operation.

Stan

jrmelton43

Very helpful. Good advice. Thanks much!

Kevin Strong

Thanks, Stan. Something in the back of my mind told me they did when I wrote that, but I wasn't finding that specific board when I searched for Zimo boards. (MX697 for those interested.)

Later,

K

Bucksco

The SoundTraxx ECO 400 board would work well in this loco. The wired interface plug can be used to install it.

jrmelton43

Kevin Strong

Soundtraxx has discontinued the 4-amp Econami in favor of the 4-amp Tsunami2. The minimal price difference between the 4-amp Econami and the 4-amp Tsunami didn't warrant continuation of both products. The Tsunami2 has a very similar form factor, but many more features. I've played with the 2-amp Tsunami2, and definitely find it much more flexible than the Econami. I haven't had a chance to install the 4-amp Tsunami2 yet, but I've got a project on the workbench which is slated to get this board.

Later,

K

jrmelton43

I spoke with the gentleman (I think the owner or manager) at Train Li, which handles Zimo, and he told me the Zimo Mx 697 DCC would plug directly into the C-19 and provide limited, appropriate C-19 sound for my analog RR. A separate part for sound volume is available.  The MX 697 is not shown on the TrainLi website, but he said it will be in a couple of days.  The Bachmann Yardmaster suggested Soundtraxx ECO 400 but that has been replaced by the TSU 4400.  I have to research that more. Any additional thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks, everybody, for your input. Bachmann really deserves big thumbs up for hosting this forum, and for jumping in with comments.

jrmelton43

I now have the Zimo mx 697 decoder installed in my C-19, running on an analog, DC track.  The sound is good, but limited on DC.  It does not include any bells and whistles and no appropriate toots for forward and reverse.  I had to install a potentiometer to control the sound volume.  I tested my decoder on a DCC system and the sound is flat awesome.  I wouldn't recommend it for DC.  For DCC the installation couldn't be easier. Plug and play.  If you order from the nice people at Trainli, make sure they know exactly what loco it will be installed in.  Reconfirm your order before it is shipped.