News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Derailment

Started by Loracat, December 10, 2017, 06:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loracat

I recently sent my 12 year old Christmas big hauler back to Bachman for repair. Much to my surprise they sent me a new locomotive. I was thrilled at first but the new engine constantly derails. The front carriage seems to have so much play in it compared to the original engines design.  The front wheels stay on track while the front stationary wheel comes off the track. Not sure what to do here .  The track is attached to a shelf that goes around the perimeter of my living room. The level is off a bit so am going to try and adjust that. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I admit I've never done much to this setup in the last 12 years but clean it and it ran perfectly.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Loracat,

Most problems like you describe are track related. First of all it is important that the track is level especially on curves. The play is designed to allow the locomotive to go around the tight curves, and is not likely the problem   If the derailment takes place at the same spot every time, the problem is most likely the track at that point. When one rail is lower than the other especially on curves the front driver will often derail.  Also double check all the track joints to make sure they are tight, especially where the straight tracks join the curved tracks. I would also check the spacing of the wheels on the locomotive to make sure they are all correct. 

Hard to diagnose these problems without being there, so I hope the above is of some help.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Greg Elmassian

I'd have to agree, typically people have problems with the pilot, not the driving wheels.

My guess is like Bill's, cross level or abrupt vertical grade transition.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com