North Pole Express Caboose Lighting Suggestions

Started by RkyGriz, December 11, 2017, 08:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RkyGriz

Hi everybody. I am thinking about lighting my Bachmann North Star Express center cupola caboose. I'm going with 4 warm white 5mm diffused LED's in the main body and one in the center of the cupola of the caboose. I think that these should be enough to light it up nice and bright. I'm also thinking about buying these 30mm Piko wheel sets on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LGB-Piko-s-30mm-Ball-Bearing-Metal-Wheelsets-W-Pickups-Wire-Connectors/112678192116?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
I was thinking oce axle in the North Star Caboose and then installing one axle in my LGB bobber caboose and lighting it up as well in a similar manner. I will also be installing one bridge rectifier and 2 condensers in each car.
I'm just wondering if 5 LED's will be enough in the North Star Express caboose and if these Piko wheel sets are a good deal.Do you guys have any suggestions or am I on the right "track" with this?
Thanks guys!
Andrew

Loco Bill Canelos

Those axle sets work very well, but only you can decide if $36 is a good deal.  I feel that five warm white defused LEDs should be enough, but if you want it lit up real bright you could add two more.  One trick in coupla lighting is to glue a piece of tin foil to the underside of the roof, and mount the defused LED from below.  Warm White is the only way to go.

Have fun,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Greg Elmassian

One axle won't give you consistent enough pickup, use 2 in each car.

The contact area with the rail is small (that's why real trains work so well) and the cars are not heavy like a loco.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com