News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1/50 scale vehicles

Started by ebtbob, December 08, 2007, 06:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Wednesday night I had the opportunity to see the new Athearn,  1/50 scale Ford Model A vehicles.   They have a pickup truck,  coupe,  and sedan.    These models are very well done and can be seen on the Athearn website.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
I have a couple on the Riley's Run layout, and they look great!
I plan on getting many for my layout!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

bwreno

Hi,  I have found them as low as $16.24, on the net.

bob

ebtbob

br549,

Unless Athearn is lying to us,  and doing false advertising on the boxes,  these cars are die cast with rubber tires.   And......16.95 is a great price........
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

C.S.R.R. Manager

Are they shipping?  I don't see them listed as in stock at any of the usual locations.  They look like they will be ideal for my time period, and hopefully there will be more 1:50 vehicles to follow.

ebtbob

CSRR - yes,  they are shipping as my store,  Lin's Junction in Lansdale, Pa has gotten in the ones that I ordered.   Due to space,  and the fact that I am one of about 4 serious modelers in O scale,  Linda only orders what she has orders for.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

ebtnut

I understand about the 1/43 models.  I probably have about 2 dozen I've acquired over the years, since there was no other decent choice in O.  You can probably get away with using both 1/43 and 1/50 models, so long as you don't mix them in the same scene.  Still, the question begs--why can we have some decent 1/48 vehicle models??? ???  I ragged on the Atheran folks about this back at the WGH show in Monroeville a year ago.  If you are going to do vehicles to match trains, make them in the SAME scales!

amdaylight

I agree that Athearn should have done the vehicles that they are doing in 1/48th scale. The reason that they picked 1/50th scale is that it is a "collector" scale. Unfortunately there is just not enough market drive for them to do them in 1/48th scale. They at least look better next to the trains then the 1/43rd scale vehicles. Wiseman Model Services has some true 1/48th scale Model T’s available but these are kits and while not difficult they do take some time.

Andre Anderson :)

C.S.R.R. Manager

1:50 vehicles don't bother me at all, since 1:50 is darn close to 1:48.  I did the math awhile back, and I think the difference between a 1:50 car and a true 1:48 car is tiny.  About .16", I think.  Works for me... My track is already a bit narrow for 3' gauge, and too wide for 2' gauge, and a just a shade too wide for true 30" gauge.

But the Wiseman vehicles do look great.

ebtnut

No argument that 1:50 is much closer than 1/43.  Now, if only I could get like maybe a '49 Merc, a '52 Packard, a '54 Ford, a '55 Chevy, I could be content.  A couple of Model A's would be OK for my mid-'50's era pike, but I don't need a fleet.  And I really don't need any Model T's, except maybe stuck derelict behind some barn. ;)

felix

Quote from: bwreno on December 09, 2007, 11:03:37 AM
Hi,  I have found them as low as $16.24, on the net.

bob

Bobbo, could you steer me to the internet site?

Befuddled in Maine Felix

kendoitall

I got mine down at the Lynbrook, NY Trainworld for $17+ bucks. They are on the net at http://www.trainworld.com/ but had no luck trying to find the Athearn cars using their goofy search function. A phone call should help.

Ken
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

ebtnut

I wound up at the Greenberg show in Chester, PA this weekend.  Looked for any model A's, but saw none.  Either the folks there hadn't gotten theirs yet, or they were already gone by the time I got there.  Ordered a couple through my LHS on the way home instead.

mackers

Well, anyone looking for other than cars/trucks in 1/50th scale needs to check out the "First Gear" webb page.  www.firstgearonline.com   and check out their crawler tractors. These are all die cast, including the tracks and are incredibly detailed.  I have several different models and they fit perfect with Bachman's rolling stock and engines.  I made several flat car loads out of a couple of the dozers and they match perfect.  Just an idea for those of you that are tired of model As and model Ts........give it a look, you'll be glad you did..........Mac 

Craig H

A source of 1/50  that may be of interest is www.topgear.com.au.
They have limited stock at present but they are advertising a 1940 Chevrolet BLITZ Military wagon (right hand drive decorated for Australian Army), it should be easily modified for left hand drive Approx $AUD 45.00.

They also have 1940 Bushfire versions of the same vehicle in their "Wrecking Yard", these could be damaged, the ones I picked up from the wrecking yard were in mint condition ( only the boxes were damaged) these are slling for approx $AUD 29.00. They also have 1/43 vehicles (Australian Holdens (GM) and Fords).
I think these are worth the look.

THe Blitz Makes an ideal load for the Bachmann On30 flatcar.

Craig
Lost down under Perth Western Australia
Lost down under but I can always find my trains