News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbie need help

Started by predfam, December 13, 2017, 07:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

predfam

Hello ladies and gents. I'm definitely a newb to g gauge, although I've run other scale for decades. Recently, I build a permanent layout board to put under the tree every year as a change from my usual O gauge. Anyway I seem to have great difficulty keeping the Bachmann rolling stock on the track thru the 30degree  crossover.  The track plan is essentially a loop with in a loop, twice around the tree, with older Bachmann brass tube rail and a LGB 30 degree crossover. I didn't have any trouble mating the lgb solid rail to the Bachmann tube stuff and the rail heights are the same. My Bachmann 4-6-0, and my aristocraft fa, have no difficulty, but my Bachmann rolling stock with plastic wheels derails everytime. My aristocraft rolling stock has no trouble. Could this be because of the plastic wheels, flang size of the plastic wheels (IE frog problems)  the cars light weight or something else.   Also would you recommend knuckle couplers or hook and loop types for max reliability?

Sort of scratching my head with this one

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi predfam,

In 99% of the cases when the problem occurs at the same spot, it is the track which is the problem in one way or another.

Very hard to tell the problem from your description, but I would start by making sure the wheels on the cars that derail are properly spaced.   Take each car and roll them manually thru the crossing and see if they bump thru it. If they do then I would suggest adding metal wheels.  If there is a curve directly before the crossing this can cause a problem when the wheels transition onto the crossing. There should be at least on straight track before hitting the crossing.  If there is a change in elevation on the approach to the crossing you must also be sure there is no dip at the joint where the tracks connect to the crossing.  Any dip at that joint can cause problems. Many early Bachmann freight cars with the plastic wheels are very light and might need some added weight.  This is especially true for the flat cars and gondolas.  If you run light cars behind the locomotive and heaver cars behind them this can cause lateral pressure on the trucks on the light cars and cause derailments.  There are other potential problems but check these first and get bac to us if you need more help.  

Since the steel track is tight radius longer trains can also cause the lateral problems mentioned above.  Trains on sharp curves like yours seem to run better with the hook and loop as reported by many on this site.  If you are having trouble with the knuckle couplers coming apart go ahead and thy the hook and Loops!

Good luck finding the problem and have fun with the train!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

predfam

Thanks Bill ! I took your advice and ran around the corner to my favorite train place, and picked up some LGB metal wheels (all they had...and yikes pricey), changed out the wheels on two of the Bach box cars. I also added weight...couple of bags of the wifes split peas (hopefully she doesn't go looking for them until after the Holidays ;) ) Seemed to work really well!! Thank you!

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

Glad you got things running well! Two bags! That is a lot of split peas 8).  Have a great Christmas!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!