News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steel on DCC

Started by TheLokieRoo, December 14, 2017, 07:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLokieRoo

I own a lot of EZ track, most of it came with my HO and one On30 set. Most of what I have are nickel silver which I know is compatible with DCC systems however my Thomas set came with the steel kind. I was thinking of doing a whole layout and I know I can get the steel track for a lower price but I also want to run a DCC operation someday.

I've seen many use nickel silver for DCC systems but is it possible to use steel alloy rails for a DCC system? If so which one is better?

jonathan

You will find it is worth the extra expense to stick with Nickel Silver track.

While steel track will work at first, it corrodes faster than nickel silver.  Conductivity will be a problem - or - you will spend a great deal of time cleaning the steel track, trying to maintain good electrical contact.  Also, steel track is more difficult to solder.

I played with a little steel track on my first layout.  It didn't take long for me to remove those track sections and replace them with nickel silver track.  Again the steel track worked fine at first, but I spent an annoying amount of time burnishing the railheads to keep locomotives running smoothly over the track.

Just saying:  steel track works, but gets annoying after a while. Keeping it clean is tougher.

Regards,

Jonathan

Flare

Also, DCC is much more finicky about dirty/corroded track than DC is.

I second Jon's advice to go all nickle-silver.

jward

if you only have a few pieces of steel, you can use them on spur and yard tracks where your locomotives won't be running.

The "keep alive" technology railaplitter refers to uses capacitors to get your locomotive over the occasional dead or dirty spot. It is not meant as a substitute for cleaning your track. Once the capacitors fully discharge, usually several seconds, the train stops. You need clean track with good connectivity to recharge them. So they are NOT a way around the major conductivity issues you would incur with DCC and steel track.

EZ App/ Bluetooth control may solve a lot of the conductivity issues that are present with DCC, as the Bluetooth control signal is transmitted through the air rather than through the rails. I haven't had the opportunity to experiment with it yet. Perhaps somebody else could tell us about their experience with EZ App and steel rail?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

TheLokieRoo

You've all provided some good answers about what track better. The only question none of these seem to answer is if steel track can be used with DCC systems or not. I have no problems dealing with dirty track but I'm willing to try a DCC system sometime and I know nickel track is compatible with this but I find steel track more affordable but once more the only question that remains unanswered is will steel track work on a DCC system?

Len

Yes, DCC will work with steel track. But...you will spend a lot more time cleaning steel track to keep things running smoothly than you will with nickel silver track. Also, since steel isn't as conductive as nickle silver, you may need more power feeders, depending on how large your layout is.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Jhanecker2

to ThelokieRoo :Note that there is more variety  in the Nickel-Silver EZ track line .  All model railroad track has to meet National Model Railroad Association standards  .   Go to their web site for more information .  John 2.