Item no# 24020- Durango & Silverton

Started by lucky2912, December 14, 2017, 11:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky2912

I bought this two weeks ago. I carefully set up the tracks and placed the engine on the tracks. The engine ran after several failed attempts. I lifted the engine and tried placing it again and now it wont run...again it ran after several attempts...this happened a few times. What is the easiest foolproof way to ensure the engine runs on my first attempt of placing it on tracks?

P.S. I have watched all videos, read the manual carefully and I am sure the tracks are assembled perfectly.

Flare

It's possible that the wheels and rails need to be cleaned.

It's also not unheard of for the controller to be bad.  Do you have a voltmeter you can use to test the voltage on the rails?

Bipeflier

Ensure the track is set on a very flat surface.  There isn't much electrical pick from the track up on those engines.  Sitting on carpet, etc. can be troublesome.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

lucky2912

Thank you both, I re-did that whole track assembling thing yesterday and after a couple hours it works now! I realized that if I don't use the straight tracks, it works. There is something wrong with 2 tracks (one straight and one curve). Not sure if it can be replaced.

@Flare- No, I don't have a voltmeter.

@Bipeflier- I am using my apartment floor (no carpet) to set this.

My learnings from this- 1) each track has to be matched correctly; 2) The orange power cord should be properly connected to the track (it loosens if the track moves slightly);  3) there is some technique involved in placing the engine on track so that it gets power supply; 4) it took me a long time to couple the coaches (needs practice); 5) stay relaxed while assembling and enjoy the process (never work on it after stressful hours at office)

Flare

A multimeter is a very helpful tool for model railroaders when it comes to diagnosing problems.

Perhaps the joiners on those bad sections aren't making a good connection?  You can crimp them onto an adjoining rail with pliers for better conductivity.

Bachmann also sells additional/replacement track sections.

I use Bachmann's HO EZ-track for my trains, but the connector is the same for N scale.  It's friction-fit so you have to press it in snugly to get a good connection.