News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Warning labels

Started by wjm, December 15, 2017, 04:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjm

I recently bought a N AFC 40' log car and the Golden Spike Digital train set for a Christmas present.  I noticed warning labels on both that say they contain a chemical known to cause cancer.  The other warning says they contain lead and may generate dust containing lead.  I did not think anyone used lead in products anymore.  I thought lead was banned from products.  How dangerous are these products and what parts is lead being used?   Thank you 

Maletrain

Perhaps you can get a more definitive answer from somebody on the manufacturing side, BUT, if that label is one "requried" by the "State of California", then it is pretty much meaningless.  To sell things in California, a label must be added if the product contains anything that California has decided a person should not eat nor inhale, even if the product contains that material in some manner that makes it all but impossible to be either eaten or inhaled.

On the other hand, I have not noticed any of those labels saying anything about generating dust that may contain lead, so maybe this is not one of those silly California warnings?  Or, did they just get sillier?

Does anybody have a real answer?

Flare

Keep the trains out of your mouth and you should be fine.

jonathan

This has come up at least 100 times since the start of this forum.  Bottom line: DONT EAT THE TRAINS.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

It's because of California's stupid "Prop 65" idiocy. They've set it up so even companies that don't do business in California can be harassed if one of their products is brought into the state without the warning. And it's getting worse:
http://www.klgates.com/warning-proposition-65-warning-requirements-have-changed-01-04-2017/

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Maletrain

I suspect that this thread could easily get too political for this forum.

Before it does, I just want to say that this is clearly a case of "crying wolf" to the point that no informed consumer pays any attention to such warnings because everything has a warning and (almost?) none of them are really inportant to personal health or safety.  It has simply become a way for lawyers to make a system that is for the benefit of lawyers to exploit.

I believe that there is actually NO product available anywhere in the world that does not contain at least some miniscule quantity of some substance that is associated with cancer or reproductive issues.  That even includes pure water, which naturally contains tiny traces of Tritium, the radioactive form of hydrogen.  And, ionizing radiation has been proven to cause both cancer and reproductive mutation.

So, without regulations that specify allowable minimums and allowable containment measures that do not invoke warnings, these requirements are absolutely useless to anybody but the predatory lawyers who prey on legitimate business people for "bounty" fines.