News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gordon Minimum Curve Question

Started by Len, December 17, 2017, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

The 'On Line Store' says Gordan, "Performs best on 18" radius curves or greater."

Does anyone know if he can handle Trix R2 (17-1/4"/437.5mm) curves?

One of my nephews has a 'Sodor' layout using Trix C-Track, and his largest loop uses R2 curves. He has the smaller Thomas locos, and they run fine on the R1 and R2 curves. He's been wanting Gordan for a while now, and I thought I might get it for him for Christmas. But I don't want to do that if he can't handle the curves.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Angelob6660

Gordon will not run well on 18' or lesser curves.

I did this a few years ago. When I didn't feel like taking out the 22" curves (I believe in his train set). So I used the track from the Thomas set.

He moved quite slowly and struggled around the curves to the point of derailing. Any more movement than 3 loops I might have to replace his wheels and gears.

He needs 22" and higher. Not less than that.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Len

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll be getting him one of the smaller locos he doesn't already have.

Len

BassTbone

Quote from: Len on December 17, 2017, 11:25:28 AM
The 'On Line Store' says Gordan, "Performs best on 18" radius curves or greater."

Does anyone know if he can handle Trix R2 (17-1/4"/437.5mm) curves?

One of my nephews has a 'Sodor' layout using Trix C-Track, and his largest loop uses R2 curves. He has the smaller Thomas locos, and they run fine on the R1 and R2 curves. He's been wanting Gordan for a while now, and I thought I might get it for him for Christmas. But I don't want to do that if he can't handle the curves.

Len

This is the same radius as PECO R2.  I have never had issues with it.  R1 would be pushing it.  Spencer's 8-wheeled tender was the only Thomas item that had issue on anything less than R2. 

Falcon

Is this the same case with Henry? He's a similar size to Gordon and I'd like to know if he has the same issue before I consider getting him.

BassTbone

Yes.  The issue is with the front wheels.  They become fouled up with the pistons. 

Len

Okay, now I'm confused.

angelob6660 says Gordon will not handle R2 (437.5mm/17-1/4") curves, while BassTbone says he will.

I'm running out of time folks, and I really need to know for sure which it is.

Len

Angelob6660

I run Gordon on Bachmann track. If tbone is using peco than their radius will be different??

Safe side use a different locomotive.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Len

I'm asking specifically if Gordon will operate okay on Trix R2 (437.5mm/17-1/4" radius) C-Track.

Len

Falcon

Quote from: BassTbone on December 19, 2017, 09:27:22 PM
Yes.  The issue is with the front wheels.  They become fouled up with the pistons. 

Thanks for the info. I might consider getting Donald for the time being instead. He and Douglas likely shouldn't have the same issue since they don't have any pistons or loose front wheels like Henry and Gordon do.

AJW98Productions

Donald and Douglas are models to be wary of, remember, their wheelbases are very long, which can make them prone to derailing on tight curves. I can't say I'm familiar with what their minimum radius is, but I'd dare say it's not much better than Gordon/Henry's. Just some cautious advice.

~Alex

Falcon

Quote from: AJW98Productions on December 20, 2017, 06:28:58 PM
Donald and Douglas are models to be wary of, remember, their wheelbases are very long, which can make them prone to derailing on tight curves. I can't say I'm familiar with what their minimum radius is, but I'd dare say it's not much better than Gordon/Henry's. Just some cautious advice.

~Alex

Oh... Well, the store says their minimum radius curve was 18". Guess I didn't take the wheelbase into consideration when I posted.  :-\

AJW98Productions

If the store says so, there's a chance they'll run okay on 18" track. I just speak from the experience of someone I used to know, who had a model of Douglas that was prone to derailing on his layout, I believe the curves on his layout were around 18", but I'm not 100% sure.

With that said, since I don't own Donald or Douglas, I can't speak from experience with these models, as to how well they'll perform, I'm just advising caution based on other people's experiences. Perhaps someone else would be better able to speak about this subject. My advice is to just be cautious :)

~Alex

Falcon

Quote from: AJW98Productions on December 21, 2017, 12:15:20 AM
If the store says so, there's a chance they'll run okay on 18" track. I just speak from the experience of someone I used to know, who had a model of Douglas that was prone to derailing on his layout, I believe the curves on his layout were around 18", but I'm not 100% sure.

With that said, since I don't own Donald or Douglas, I can't speak from experience with these models, as to how well they'll perform, I'm just advising caution based on other people's experiences. Perhaps someone else would be better able to speak about this subject. My advice is to just be cautious :)

~Alex

Thanks for clarifying. I plan on building a small layout with 18" track, so it helps to have as much knowledge on engine performance as possible.

Do Oliver and Duck have the same issue?

Len

While the Donald Duck info is interesting, I'm running out of time and would really appreciate a definative answer from someone who's either done it themselves, or seen it done on a friends layout:

Will Gordon operate okay on Trix C track, or other manufacturers track with the same dimensions, R2 (437mm/17-1/4") curves or not??

Len