News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

63152 Switcher Problem

Started by jweir43, December 17, 2017, 05:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jweir43

I just want to make sure I'm not abusing the engine.  This is the second time in a half-year I've had this problem and everybody tells me that Bachmann is one of the most reliable engines on the market.

The problem is that the unit will not move.  I'm using DCC and I can get the engine lights to light and to dim but the wheels will not turn.  This is the second failure of this exact nature in 6 months and I want to make sure I'm not doing something to kill it.    :'(

I've tried changing DCC channels and no good.  I'm running a Bachmann 63755 (F7 ATSF) engine on this same track with absolutely no problems.  I'm having it pull 7 regular freight cars and when it runs I can run it 2-3 scale MPH no problem.  Great little engine when it works.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Jim

spookshow

The first thing I would try is resetting the decoder (write 8 to CV8).

-Mark

jweir43

That sounds like a great idea, sir, and I thank you for it.  Unfortunately it could have been written in ancient Arameic and I would have understood as much.  Please elaborate, this is my first go-around with DCC and I'm still not conversant with the procedures.  Could you teach a second-grader how to do it please?

Amended.  I reread (3 times) the DCC power pack instructions and finally figured out how to reset Configuration Values.  It apparently worked as it reverted the engine to #3 and I can still turn the lights on and off, and I can reprogram the engine to #2. 

But the wheels still won't turn.  Any other suggestions.  Last time it went back to Bachmann it took two months to get it back.

Thanks,

Jim

gatrhumpy

The motor circuit controller on the DCC board is probably shot. You'll either need to install a different decoder or return it for repair for Bachmann.

jweir43

Thanks, Humpy.

I'm one of those anal engineer type guys.  I need to prove to myself what is wrong before I go shotgunning the repair.  It could be the decoder.  It could be the motor itself.  Not likely the pickups as the lamps stay lit.  So the problem resolves itself to testing the motor and if it can be PROVEN that the motor motors, then the problem has to be the DCC board.

The problem with THAT is that Bachmann replaced the DCC board in June of this year for exactly the same problem.  I don't understand how a decoder board can have exactly the same symptoms twice within 6 months.  That, unless Bachmann has a hell of a QC problem with its decoder boards and I haven't seen a lot of grief about it on the message boards.

It sure would be nice if Bachmann would release a schematic of their engine/dcc documents so that we could at least take an educated wild a$$ guess as to what the problem is.  I could power up the motor with clipleads to see if it responded, and if so, then it has to be the decoder board.  IF not, then it has to be the motor.  But absent service information, that troubleshooting can't take place.  At least nowhere that I can dig up that information.

THanks,

Jim

spookshow

The decoder is screwed to four posts on top of the motor saddle. The black wires transfer current from the wheelwipers to the decoder and (IIRC) the red and blue wires transfer current from the decoder to the motor.

-Mark

jweir43

Actually it is TWO screws on top of the saddle (you can seen them in your photo in the center of the image, diagonal from one another.  And not knowing how the unit switches from DCC to straight DC it is somewhat of a mystery to me that the voltage when I power the unit from DC that the voltage from red to blue is the same.  That doesn't allow for much current flow through the motor UNLESS they are doing some sort of switching mechanism that I can't see with a voltmeter.  I suppose I could have put the 'scope onto it to see if it was being switch-driven but it is easier and less hassle than reverse engineering just to send it back to Bachmann.

If only they wouldn't take two months to return it.

Jim

spookshow

I'm kind of surprised it takes them so long. I'm pretty sure all they do is send replacements (as opposed to trying to fix them). Must have a small staff and a lot of returns.

-Mark