News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum GP30 noise

Started by cmsluss, December 27, 2017, 12:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmsluss

Greetings all...

I just unboxed a Spectrum GP30 (split frame, dual fly wheel, directional lighting) and I was surprised to hear what sounds like gear noise!  I was anticipating (and hoping) the unit would glide quietly over the rails.  This unit sounds like a locomotive from a generation ago or more, when diesel models used to "grind" around layouts.  The locomotive has excellent detailing... I just wish it ran as good as it looks!

Has anyone else had the same or similar experience with a Spectrum GP30?

Thanks much!

West Bound

I didn't have a spectrum but I had two Bachmann Plus GP 30's that made noise. I never found the source.
12/28/17  I was wrong. I did have Spectrum. I hope grease helps. I tried grease, replaced drive linkage, nothing helped. Finally sold them. These had very nice detailed shells.

cmsluss

Thanks much for sharing!  It would be wonderful if greasing the gears would eliminate the noise!

Trainman203

Try it.  It rendered 3 very noisy engines virtually silent.

cmsluss

Greetings all -

I am truly impressed and grateful with everyone's input!

I used Labelle 106 on the wheel gears and the worm gear with no appreciable reduction in the noise.   I have tried to listen and identify if the noise is coming from the motor, flywheel, worm gear assembly or from the gears inside the trucks.  I see the split frame is pretty tight around the motor, so I would think any play in the drive assembly is coming from the flywheels on back to the worm gear.  Nothing looks abnormal, but... this little unit sounds like a locomotive from 40 years ago going around the track!

Thanks again for the wonderful input... I appreciate your time!