News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

True-Scale couplers

Started by gastown, January 05, 2018, 01:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gastown

How can I install Micro-Trains True-Scale couplers on my n scale 2-6-0, or any other Bachmann steam engine for that matter?

Len

The Micro-Scale conversion recommendations for Bachmann N-scale can be found here:

https://www.micro-trains.com/publicfiles/conversions/sheet003.pdf

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

gastown

It makes no mention of the 2-6-0 or true-scale couplers. I know how to deal with magne-matics. Thanks anyway.

brokemoto

These things are fairly new.  I suspect that MT simply has not gotten around to determining what fits what or even manufacturing diverse couplers and boxes to fit the products out here.

You might simply have to buy some of the MT True Scale and fiddle with them a bit.

They do look a bit clunky on B-mann's smaller power as well as the Athearn/MDC nineteenth century power.  Many have used MT's Z scales.  I have done that with a B-mann 2-8-0 and a couple of MDC 2-8-0s and 2-6-0s.

gastown

Thanks, I did put them on a string of Athearn trussrod cars, they look nice. But the mogul is a different story, the pocket wont take the box.
Is there a list of z coupler recommendations for n-scale?

brokemoto

The only one available that is assembled is the 905.  You might have to make alterations to the locomotive to get it to fit.  Take care that you do not foul the pilot truck with the coupler box.  The Z scale will mate with the N scale knuckle couplers of the various manufacturers, although better with some than others.

The conversions on the Athearn/MDC passenger cars are easy:  1023s (N scale).  All that you need do is cut or file a portion of the lip on the underside of the end platforms, tap your hole and screw on coupler and box.  The height is correct, assuming that you do nothing to the trucks and bolsters.  I have done a body mount on perhaps one or two Athearn/MDC freight cars and I forget what I used.

The MT True Scales are fairly new animals, which is why I  suspect that you can not get the box to fit.  I suspect that MT will take care of its own products, first, then start with those of the other manufacturers.  Back in the day, MT sold only couplers and frieght cars.  They have gone far beyond that, now.

I like the B-mann mogul.  I have two.  It is a shame that the big steam sells better than the small-to-average.  You would think that with most home layouts' being smaller and having tighter curves, the small to average steam would sell better, but it is the big ones that sell.  Of course, if you are running nineteenth and early twentieth century equipment, the small stuff is all that you can use.

gastown

I have a layout small enough that I can actualy pay attention to detail, and I love small power. I even have an old docksider on a mine track, and it runs fairly well! I have a couple Moguls, a few 10-wheelers. I have two mikes by other companies, but I run em a lot less.
I have been playing with the true scales, and I like them so far. I installed them on the athearn cars exactly as you described.
If Bachmann sold pilots separately for the 2-6-0 I would buy a couple and experiment. But it doesn't appear so.