Thomas large scale upgrade to DCC

Started by thomasgleek444, January 07, 2018, 08:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasgleek444

I was wondering if anyone would know what kind of speaker that I should get to go with the DCC upgrade kit that one can buy to upgrade a non DCC thomas train.

Loco Bill Canelos

Questions about Thomas Items are best asked on that forum, and you chances for a solution are much better.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

thomasj219

Unless I'm very much mistaken....this is the Thomas Forum.  ::)
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: thomasj219 on January 08, 2018, 11:46:04 AM
Unless I'm very much mistaken....this is the Thomas Forum.  ::)
The thread was moved by the moderators.

Loco Bill Canelos

Sparks is correct I asked the moderators to move it here from the Large Scale forum and I hope someone can help out.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chaz

While I can't give you an answer myself I asked a similar question to another collector who owns the DCC sound Thomas and Percy and if he was planning on getting James or the other engines and adding the kodulebto them and this was his reply:

"I've thought about it, and even checked in to it with my local train shop...  but they quoted me an outrageously high price for the whole thing, including the installation.  One problem is that even if I were to buy James and Bachmann's DCC module that is designed for him, they don't offer a speaker designed for him.  You are on your own to find a speaker that would fit.  If Bachmann had a specific speaker designed to mount right in to James, I might consider just doing the install myself.  But given that they don't, I am hoping to find some train shop somewhere that would quote a reasonable price to do the whole thing for me.  After the high quote from my local shop, I emailed another shop within driving distance..  and they didn't even have the courtesy to respond.  So, the whole idea is somewhat on hold for right now."

Despite being heavily promoted, it seems that just the process of finding the right speaker for adding DCC and sound to the Thomas models is already going to be a tedious process.  Someone on here almost a year ago said they would post a video of showing off the individual sounds but we have yet to see that too.  A friend of mine who is also collecting large scale is planning on dodging the bullet of buying the modules and the installation process for Thomas and Percy and just buying the DCC/sound models and selling his analog models.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Bachmann will be posting announcements in about 5 or so weeks so if they happen to have other engines, besides Thomas and Percy, announced with DCC and sound then that honestly might be the way to go.  They don't even have a DCC/sound option in the module for Diesel and I have a feeling that's what they will likely announce in the future.

Best bet is for a Bachmann representative themselves to give you a recommendation.  If a moderator doesn't respond with a recommendation later I would look into emailing Bachmann's service department for a recommendation and go from there.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

thomasgleek444

I found the answer on where to find the right speakers, i went snooping into what kind of dcc bachmann uses for the thomas trains and found that it is soundtraxx, i then went to look more into the sound traxx site and found that they sell their own speakers for a super cheap price.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/access/speakers.php

thomasgleek444

https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/soundtraxx/soundtraxx-speakers-and-accessories/
or better yet over here, the problem is that i dont know what ampage the chip supplies, since bachmann gives you no information about the chip at all.

Greg Elmassian

Assume 1 watt or so, get a 5 watt speaker, since you are in large scale.

If you need smaller speakers with higher capacity, look into Visaton

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

thomasgleek444

https://www.amazon.com/Gikfun-Speaker-Loudspeaker-Arduino-EK1688_/dp/B014GM8BP8
Would this speaker work as well? I could get this two pack and then have a second one in case the first one brakes, or for when i get a second train