News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pros and Cons> 2-6-0 Indy Mogul

Started by Joe Zullo, January 12, 2018, 10:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Zullo

How about some reviews on the 2-6-0 Industrial Mogul?

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Zullo

Hi Bill,

I have one on the way from a fellow forum member on LCS.. It's due here next Thursday. I let you know how it is after it's shakedown on my railroad.

Loco Bill Canelos

Joe,

Most guys I know really like their Indys.  They are pretty light, but then the prototypes were as well.  Some have added weight, but I do not know how that worked out.  They do seem to be pretty dependable though.  When I think about it I don't recall hearing much about problems with them here on the forum.

Have fun with it, we will look forward to your report.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

aspoz

I've had one for some years, and it's been a terrific little workhorse.  It's now converted to battery and r/c (see https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/bachmann-indy-2-6-0-conversion-to-battery-rc.237169/).  It has had weight added (fishing weights in the domes) and I remain very pleased with it - a great little engine for the price.  And, the youngest grandson (now post Thomas) loves it.

Joe Zullo

I now have two 2-6-0 Industrial moguls.

What terrible pullers they are! They are WAY too light. They only weight about 2 pounds. They have enough trouble pulling their own tender. Hardly any traction. I read that they can't pull the skin off rice pudding. I find that all too true.

I spent today adding weight to the first one. Since I am also a bullet caster I have 1 pound lead ingots. I removed the smoke unit and cut an ingot in half and stacked it in the front of the boiler. I filled all three domes with lead shot and sealed them with epoxy. Then I added about 3/4 of a pound of lead behind the motor. I also found that the pilot truck was lifting the front drivers, so I removed the spring and plunger. It still tracks perfectly. Now at least it will pull a 5 car log train without slipping on my 10 and 8 foot curves.
Bachmann decided that a PCB in the middle of the boiler was more important then a weight. I  gutted this loco and rewired it and put another 1 pound ingot where the PCB was. It now pulls to my expectations. It now weighs 4 pounds 5 ounces

I noticed that the cow catcher was too low and pointing down so much that it was touching the rails at certain small undulations in the track. I cut the cow catcher off the pilot.

Joe Zullo

I spent today on the bench with the mogul. I gutted it and fitted a 1 pound ingot where the PCB used to be (along with the weight I added in other areas yesterday). I rewired all functions and added a resistor for each light. I weighed my other untouched mogul at 2 pounds 5 ounces. My reworked mogul now weighs 4 pounds 5 ounces. I can't test it on the rails tonight (it's pouring here in north Florida). I also removed the smoke switch and and polarity switch. I used the smoke switch as an on off switch under the smoke box door.
Tomorrow I will get it out there  (if it's not pouring) and see what it will do now. I will eventually rework the second on too. I loved the looks but hated the performance.  ;)

Here is a video of it out on the rails today 1/29/2018

https://youtu.be/TzmUBtKA4ko

A Trainman

Looking real good Joe!!
Looks like it 's running nice and smooth.

Now I'm getting the itch for one :)

Adam

norman

Hi:

What would you folks think of this as a future Indy release?

https://allenmodels.com/fitchburg-northern.html

Norman

Joe Zullo

A problem was detected during yesterday's running of the Mogul. If the track undulated up or down even slightly (as outdoor railroads always do) the cowcatcher was contacting the rails and slightly lifting the front drivers causing a slight lose of traction (slipping). I decided I could remove the cowcatcher from the pilot beam with a razor saw. Now all is well.

Now it's doing great...

https://youtu.be/Man-rrQHj0U

Joe Zullo

Hey fellow G scalers

The HDRR (my railroad) is now the proud owner of 2 Bachmann Industrial moguls. After some time in the shops they both emerged ready for service. Both were modified the same way. Gutted, rewired, and two pounds of weight added in the boilers. I am very satisfied with them now and run them often for both passenger service (three Jackson and Sharp cars) or freight (5-6 freight cars) with no slipping even on wet rails. It's a big improvement in performance!

https://youtu.be/R9sOIkqf_HQ