News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Split Gear Syndrome

Started by jonathan, January 15, 2018, 08:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Decided to open up the trucks on my 44-ton switcher.  In the past, lots of folks have posted about split gears and trouble getting this little locomotive to run well.  Thought I'd get a look for myself.

This is mine:
DSC_1046 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

While it is more noisy than when new, it still runs pretty well. I can't recall exactly, but I think I've had this loco for around 10 years.

To open up the trucks, one can use a flathead, jewelers screwdriver to pop the tab on the bottom plate:

DSC_1038 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Sure enough, there are little splits along the axle mounts on the gears.  Hope this is a clear-enough photo:

DSC_1033 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

A closer look:

DSC_1041 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I washed the wheelset with the split gears (whole assembly).  Then, while the axle was inserted, AND with the wheels were properly guaged, I added a drop of CA to each crack and let the CA wick around.

Not really trying to repair the split... Really just adding a stop-gap. I want to prevent the split from getting any larger.  Plus, the CA may also hold the axle in place (no slippage).

I then put it all back together, and ran it around the layout.  Still runs well.  Only time will tell if the CA will prevent the gears from slipping.  So far so good:

DSC_1047 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

On a photography note:

Whenever I use a macro-lens for close-up shots,  the pictures end up grainy.  Dunno why. Perhaps I need a fancier DLSR.

Regards,

Jonathan

dutchbuilder

Nice Job Jonathan.
What is that with splitgear now a days.
Inferior quality?
Not only from Mr. B but i had two 0n30 C16's from BLI with the same annoying problem.
When it would happen running around on the track, OK but they were just sitting still on a siding.
In have a couple of old Athern diesels from the late 70's And they chug along quite happily.
And they did some serious mileage over the decades.
The same for a couple of 1950's Fleischmann locomotives inherited from my late Father, that keep on working with out any problem.
But they used metal gears.

Ton

VTBob

Do they make metal gears for these? I have several, but all are cursed with that jumpy split gear issue. And it's not just Bachmann getting the raw deal with the split gear issue, I have 5 LL-Proto2K BL2's that have the split gear as well, but the problem there is that they discontinued the gear/wheelset replacements so I'm stuck until I can find a few basket case athearns to take apart for the wheels sets with the gears.
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

jward

My local hobby shop sells Athearn replacement wheelsets that will fit the BL2s, and many other P2K locomotives. They come completely assembled, all you have to do is drop them in.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I take it the CA works with nylon? I wouldn't have thought that so I learned something new.
Feel like a Mogul.

Hunt

Jonathan, which CA did you use?

Do not allow Isopropyl Alcohol to come in contact with your repaired gears.

Hunt

The Bach-man,
Bachmann uses what type of plastic for gears - ABS, Nylon, ? ? ?

jward

To expand on what Hunt asked, WHat are the inside shaft diameter and number of teeth for these gears. I assume they are a stock item that  doesn't vary much if at all between different types of locomotives. Is there any chance these could be stocked in the online parts store?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

My bad. I just assumed they were nylon. Maybe they are ABS or something else.
Feel like a Mogul.

VTBob

Quote from: jward on May 28, 2018, 09:46:54 AM
My local hobby shop sells Athearn replacement wheelsets that will fit the BL2s, and many other P2K locomotives. They come completely assembled, all you have to do is drop them in.

My state no longer has a local hobby shop in it. I actually have long distance plans to try & open one, but the taxes are absolutly killer. I've been looking online to find the wheelsets, but everyone has that "out of stock" & "discontinued product" labels.

R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

jonathan

Hunt,

I used some kind of superglue... Elmer's I think.  It's still holding, though I don't run this loco often.  Good tip on the alcohol.  Thanks.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

Split gears have a long history.  I have a Gem NP 2-8-0 that is at least 40 years old.  The gear split on that loco about 15 years ago.  I have an Athearn/Roundhouse old-time 2-8-0 that I intend to use to put under the old superstructure to solve that problem.  I think that Gem gear is nylon.  NJ Custom Brass diesels were also notorius for splitting gears, even sitting on the shelf.  And the Athearn Genesis USRA light Pacifics and Mikes would also split gears by themselves.  Metal gears would solve a lot of these issues but I guess there is a cost point the manufactures don't want to cross.

rogertra

Bachmann are obviously aware of this problem so, Mr. B., are Bachmann doing anything to address and correct this long time ongoing issue?

Cheers.

Roger T.

bbmiroku

Since all my motive power is second-hand (or new old stock) DC-powered equipment, I always buy an extra or two of the ones I really enjoy, just for replacement parts whenever I need them.  Not all the gears split, and if you can get a newer version of the same model that you have, the gearing will probably be the same, so you can switch one out with the other.

rogertra

Athearn gears, available in packets of six, fit most model axles.  Easy to install on diesels but, of course, steam is more difficult.

That's what our local club members use.

Cheers/

Roger T.