News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Conversion B23-7 Question

Started by ElectricFan, January 17, 2018, 08:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricFan

I have an HO scale Bachmann B23-7 that I want to convert to DCC.  How do I remove the motor brackets so I can separate and isolate the motor from the chassis?  Thanks much for any help.

Len

Look at the exploded diagram: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_B23-7_DIESEL.pdf

You should be able to disengage the motor bracket 'hooks' from the bottom of the loco, then lift the bracket up and out.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ElectricFan

Hi Len:

Thanks much -- unhooking the latch from the chassis seems to be my problem -- one bracket is no problem but the one on the other side just does not seem to budge.  I'll keep working at it -- hopefully not until it breaks because there are no replacement parts.

Len

I usually slide a tooth pick in to keep the first side from reengaging while I work on the second side.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ElectricFan

Hi Len:

Thanks;  I couldn't get the toothpicks to work and manged to break one of the brackets - I don't think Bachmann has replacements for sale -- here comes the jury-rig or a lot of parts for the parts box .

bapguy

ElectricFan

Hi Joe:

Thanks;  one of those cradles just might work -- very interesting, if they fit the chassis screw holders holes, they would also solve the problem of insulating the motor from the chassis -- I was going to use electrical tape.  I guess I'll be calling the parts dept. on Monday.

Thanks again.

Jon

ElectricFan

Hi Jon: Thanks for the tip - I e-mailed the Parts Dept. and will probably call them tomorrow.

Jon (My name is Jon, too)

ElectricFan

Hi Jon:  I just called the parts dept. and placed an order.  My B23-7 is a Conrail unit that is a close approximation of the branch locomotive that used to run on the Connecticut Southern (CSO) shortline behind my club in Manchester.  The Bachmann model even had the correct road # (2001).  Unfortunately, it comes with the GE trucks rather than the AAR type B trucks that Conrail used on their B23 and B30.  I asked the parts department if they had any Alco sideframes for sale (they show on the parts diagrams for the RS3, Sharks, FA2 and S4), but the CSR couldn't find it. 

I think I'll send a separate e-mail to the Bach Man and ask  if Bachmann would consider offering the Alco sideframes for sale in the parts department.  There were several railroads that used the AAR type B trucks on GP30s and GP35s, because they used Alco components as trade-ins to EMD when they bought them.  From what I can see on the parts diagrams and from measuring my own locomotives, the Alco sideframes should work with the EMD locomotives.

Jon