News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Quality of Orient Express locomotive

Started by lirrman, January 17, 2018, 07:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirrman

Looks like an interesting train set but I worry about the quality of a 25 year old locomotive.  A post I read said the loco was made by a company named Josef (?) not Bachmann. They are selling for upwards of $100, and without a reliable loco, that's too much.  One seller on E-bay wants $150 WITHOUT the locomotive, just the tender.  Any thoughts.

Terry Toenges

The company is "Jouef". They are a French company.
Feel like a Mogul.

lirrman

OK Great.  So now tell me about the locomotive.

Len

The loco has good detail. The motor is in the tender, and unlike some US brand tender drives, it operates very well. Although I would try to keep any grades in the 2% range if possible. Forget the standard 'up & over' pier sets.

The one kicker is the set comes with Marklin style hook & loop type couplers. I haven't looked at one of these sets in some time, so I don't remember if the couplers are mounted in NEM type coupler pockets or not. If so, it's a simple matter to swap them with Bachmann or Kadee NEM shank knuckle couplers.

If not, there are suggestions for making a 'transition car' if you want to add additional cars from other manufacturers in this thread: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=29194.0

These sets are from around 1985, so be sure to open the tender and put fresh lube on the motor and gears before running.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

dutchbuilder

I have seen and run Jouef trains in the distant past and let me guaranty you that it is junk.
Mechanically and modelwise it is hopeless.
I don't know how much was sold in the US but here in Europe It was the cheap brother to brands as Fleischmann and Roco.

Ton

Len

Tom - People have said that about Bachmann in the past, with some justification, but it doesn't apply today. In the same way, Jouef has had their ups and downs, and I agree they had some really bad down periods.

But the Orient Express came out during one of their better times. I've seen the set offered by Bachmann run on a local clubs layout, and it ran very well. It was quieter than many "top of the line" locos also on the layout, and ran smoothly.

The only real issue anyone had about it were the Marklin style couplers. And some, who complain the sun comes up in the east instead of the west, grossed it wasn't happy on grades over 2% when put to the grade test. But then, what steam powered passenger would be?

Len

lirrman

Thank you, Len for the insightful info and for staying on topic.  That don't always happen.  I went ahead and bought the loco and 4 cars $95.  I may be wrong but, if need be, it seems like replacing a motor in the tender would be easier than one in a locomotive.  I'd like to think there would be more area for "wiggle room" Thanks again.

Len

I doubt if you'll have to replace the motor, but I would definately oil the bearings and grease the gears before running it the first time.

Len

lirrman

You bet.  Driving rods, wheels, axles and anything that moves will get a drop of oil.  I'll have to open the tender and no paperwork will come with the loco/tender but I hope I may be able to find some on HO SEEKER. Have a good one.  Thanks, Len
Walt