News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Snowplow Project

Started by jonathan, December 10, 2017, 06:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhanecker2

To Dutchbuilder :  Nice work I did see the painted pictures further down  in your #23 reply John2 

To Jonathon :  I remember those  old shows as well some were pretty entertaining at the time .  Some of the shows from the Fifties & Sixties had amazingly stilted dialog  , but that comes from growing older I guess .  Though the films from the Thirties & Forties were much better in that respect , must have been aimed  for an old audience . John,

Jhanecker2

To Trainman 203 : Don't feel bad about drivers in your area not knowing how to deal with snow . I live near Chicago where it snows significantly & often most years , we have the same problem with drivers .   People think that AWD will save their butts from doing really dumb stuff . Physics  does Not change for anybody ,  you have to be aware of the environment and other drivers .   Your insurance company  will  explain the expensive results of inattention for reality.
John2.

ebtnut

Jonathon:  I know it's the wrong category, but bear with me - Re:  the USRA Mike, I believe you said there was room in the front of the boiler for more weight if you pull off the smokebox front.  Is there anything I need to be careful about in doing that, like wires to the headlight?  I ran the loco on the McKeesport club layout over the holidays and was disappointed at its pulling power on the branch that has DCC.  The grade is about 2.5 - 3% and it would only take 5 cars up the hill.  The club over-weights their rolling stock at bit, IMO, but even so, I'd like to get some more cars behind her. 

jonathan

No worries, ebt.

I did not remove the smokebox front.  I lifted the whole shell, which was pretty easy as I recall.  I used two 1/2-ounce fishing sinkers.  The sinkers fit easily into the smokebox area. There are headlight wires to be mindful of, but there's enough slack in the wire to work with.  I also shaped some lead and filled the domes, too.  Finally put a small amount of weight under the cab roof.  This greatly improved the pulling power of the Mike.  Also shifted the balance.  The loco is a bit back-heavy when delivered as new. 

The USRA Lights are just too light...  ;D  Once the weight is added, they become really good runners and pullers.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

Jonathon:  OK, that sounds great.  Thanks for the quick turnaround.