News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Connie 2-8-0 gear problem

Started by Peterjh, January 22, 2018, 03:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peterjh

Hi everyone,
Please forgive me if I am repeating a previous topic thread.
I recently replaced the drive gear on two of my connies. I ordered these from NWSL.
Once I had replaced the gears, I really struggled to get the wheels quartered correctly.After many hours, I was able to get as close as possible ,to what was correct.however I now have a terrible binding like noise coming from what I think is the drive gear! This was not here before I replaced the gears.
Is this what many refer to as "binding"? I see that NWSL also sell a gear aligning tool. Would this solve my problem?

jonathan

Any time one replaces the main gear between the drivers, proper "quartering" is essential.

There are ways to quarter the drivers without using the NWSL quartering tool, but they usually involving marking/scoring axles and wheels BEFORE they are disassembled.

I have the "Quarterer II" which has been handy over the years.  I don't know of any other quartering tool than the NWSL brand.

Regards,

Jonathan

Peterjh

Thanks Jonathan. Any thoughts on the binding/grinding noise ?

jonathan

I consider binding a problem with the drive rods and valve gear.  A misalignment here would prevent the wheels from turning.

Grinding is a gear issue.  I have never experienced grinding with a Consolidation.  However, I have replaced the drive belt on two Connies.  The belts were cracked causing the belts to get hung up during rotation.

Regards,

Jonathan