News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 Pilot truck

Started by jord, December 04, 2017, 05:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jord

Picked up a Big Hauler train set, it works but the pilot truck is damaged. Parts are not yet available, so I will to repair it. Can some one tell me what the top of the truck shaft looks like, seems oval,but am missing some plastic piece that goes on to top of the spring. I have the metal washer with 3 holes

Loco Bill Canelos

Jord,

The shaft is oval, this is done to allow it to swing more freely in the slot on the chassis.  The thin plastic washer is the same size as the metal washer, but has a bigger hole to slide down over the shaft. It does not have the holes like the metal one.  It does have small slots for the wires to fit into.  I usually put some plastic compatible grease on the plastic washer and on the shaft and along the slot.  Then I grease the bottom of the metal washer before installing the screw.  When doing this I have little or no trouble with the truck.  It will be important to make sure the wires are pushed up high enough so as to not foul the movement of the truck in the slot.  You might be able to make the plastic washer, but if the shaft is damaged the only solution is to replace the entire truck.

Sorry I did not respond sooner, but I just returned home and found one to look at.  

Good luck with your repair and have fun!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

jord

Thanks Bill, I repaired it the best I could and it tracks perfectly, but now when I lay it on the track only once did it travel a few feet. When I test the engine with leads to the truck it runs really well; now when it's on the track  the voltage goes to zero ,any thoughts

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Jord,

Since the Loco runs perfect when directly connected, the problem is definitely with the track and or power supply.  I am suspecting the power supply may be the problem. The current drawn when the train is tested off the track is much less than when the loco is on the track pulling a train.  From you description it would seem that the loco runs til the circuit breaker pops, then resets itself.  When you try to run again it does the same thing. Many modern power packs have thermal circuit breakers and when they blow, you wait a while and they reset after you eliminate the short or overload.  Over time these circuit breakers become weaker, especially if they blow a lot.
Try a different power supply, if that does the trick your problem  is solved.  If not them the track is the problem.  Carefully check the track to make sure it is clean and all the connections are tight.

Again my gut feel is you may have a power supply problem, so try a different one and let us know if that works out.
If it doesn't then get back as well.

Hang in there and we will get it figured out!

Bill

jord

Thank's Bill, Interesting thing I notices when I apply voltage directly to the front truck it goes in one direction and when I touch the rear wheels it goes in the opposite direction, does this sound odd to you. I did rewire the truck. And after seeing this I tried reversing the pins inside the loco to no avail.

Tony Walsham

So spin the pilot truck 180ยบ. The arrow should face forwards.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

jord

Yup.realized it right after posting, reversed it and now all is going in the right direction polarity is not fighting itself. Again appreciate your input,a lot of us would be lost without your help.

Loco Bill Canelos

Jord,

Glad you figured it out, now you see why diagnosis is so hard when you cannot see what is going on.  The Arrow must face forward!

Remember readers always refer to the instruction manual when problems occur if that does not work then ask here on the forum.

Instructions here:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18832.0.html

Now that the problem is solved have some fun, you did a great job repairing the pilot truck, so pat yourself on the back.

Bill