Help adding sound to On30 4-4-0 modern loco

Started by kreinbold, January 29, 2018, 01:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kreinbold

I'm looking to add sound to a newly acquired 4-4-0 On30 Modern outside frame steam locomotive (#28324).  I have not acquired a DCC system as yet so will initially run in DC analog mode.  I've identified the sound PCB AE32019 (http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_698&products_id=10469) as being most appropriate (HO 4-4-0 modern it says).  The loco comes with an 8-pin NMRA-compliant decoder and I may be going out on a limb here but is it as simple as buying the sound PCB, a speaker and an 8-pin connector piece and away I go? 

Since I'll be operating in DC analog mode I am assuming that I may trigger some automatic sound features as per the automatic sound configuration register (factory set?) like whistle signals, bells, steam release, etc. 

Unfortunately I could not find any instructions related to the AE32019 PCB so do not know if any sounds will really be made in analog mode.  Just guessing based upon what SoundTraxx says on their website.  Has anyone added sound to their On30 4-4-0 before and did you have any kind of instruction manual?  Anyone know who makes that board?  I suppose I could use a sound board from someone else. 

Also, when sound boards like these are added will factory defaults that allow DC operation work or must I set some variable in the programming?  Being that I don't have a DCC system then that will be tough.  Can I program/read from a computer? 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

kreinbold

Hunt

Recommend adding sound decoder only after you acquire a DCC system, which fits your needs.

dutchbuilder

It must be me but the 4-4-0 i have needs a decoder with a 8 pin NMRA connector.
I would use a Soundtraxx Tsunami light steam for this model.
The one you show in the link is for a sound ready decoder.

Ton

Hunt

Quote from: dutchbuilder on January 29, 2018, 05:36:08 PM
The one you show in the link is for a sound ready decoder.

Ton

Ton,

Perhaps the DCC Sound Board label misled you into believing AE32019 a sound module.

If Bachmann documentation is correct, the linked to AE32019 is a SoundTraxx OEM Bachmann sound decoder,  the same sound decoder factory installed in the Spectrum  HO Baldwin Modern 4-4-0, Sound On Board.

I would not use the AE32019 in the On30 but that is just me.  ;)

kreinbold

I'm just trying to figure out all the electronics aspects of this right now and plan for the time I do get DCC.  I actually have much more O gauge (conventional) and my layout is planned for that, but when I saw the prices at Trainworld for some of these ($60! for the loco, $399 MSRP) I could not pass it up.  And I can use it somewhere in the background for a mountain or logging route with trestle et al. and have it on a back-and-forth circuit.  I'll eventually get a DCC system (DCS maybe) and will be able to access fully all DCC commands of this engine at that time.  Until then I'm just planning. 

I actually came at this from a different direction.  For about $20 on Amazon I did get a blue tooth audio receiver, 2.5 W amplifier and a speaker so I can actually play music (via iTunes) or any other "train sound" I can find (.mp3 file) and beam it directly to a sound car with my iPhone.  It's more like a very small Bluetooth speaker really since it's not DCC and I haven't determined how I'll power it at low track voltage... anyone have experience in lithium ion battery charging circuits for trains?

So Hunt, if you weren't going to get the AE32019 in the future what would you get?  It looks like it has more than plenty the number of functions.  Would you use a different model and/or brand? 

Ton, I haven't cracked open the shell but it should have that 8-pin already in it.  Maybe you have an older or non-DCC version?

kreinbold

Flare

I've used Trainworld's site a few times, and recently took advantage of their $99.99 On30 2-6-6-2 Articulated special.  :)

But as for the 4-4-0 on that site, it appears to be the Outside Frame version but neither Bachmann's store page nor the parts diagram mention a sound option or built-in speaker.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=487_673_682&products_id=5197
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/On30%204-4-0%20MODERN__OUTSIDE%20FRAME.TENDER.pdf

However, the exploded view diagram does appear have designated cutouts for adding a speaker in the tender, so you can install an aftermarket 8-pin decoder with speaker outputs.  (I would also advise Soundtraxx)

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step1.php?s=O-Bachmann

(Also, if you want a logging locomotive I would advise getting Bachmann's Heisler.  Mine runs great and doesn't suffer from the gear issues that the Shay and Climax were known for.  It also has a drop-in sound module available and built-in speaker.  ;) )

Hunt

kreinbold,

If DCC - I would remove the basic decoder now in the locomotive tender and hardwire a SoundTraxx Tsumani2 sound decoder and compatible speaker. You should consider this option only after you have and know how to use a DCC system capable of taking advantage of the features and functions of the sound decoder.

If  iPhone, Bluetooth, O gauge and On30 -- While you are just looking at what is available, spend time reading the articles and the information in other links in the in the BlueRail Trains website.

http://bluerailtrains.com/articles/

kreinbold

Hunt, I've looked at BlueRail and it sounds interesting but it may be too early to jump to that.  It certainly offers some remote control but doesn't give me the sound aspect that I'm looking for.  One of the showcased users puts this in the exact same On30 loco that I just acquired so maybe just maybe.

May need to give them a call to see where they are on new feature introductions.

regbarron@icloud.com

The sound board you selected should work.  Wires will need to be soldered to it.  Also, it may or may not fit the cast in mounting posts in the tender. 

On30modeller

I am also looking to retrofit a DCC equipped On30 4-4-0 with sound and have been wondering if the AE32019 mentioned which appears to come with speaker is a plug and play installation or if tender mods are necessary.  I realize the standard supplied decoder will likely have to be removed.

If it is not a direct fit then there are a couple of Soundtraxx options I would consider.

I'm not adverse to doing a complete install but would prefer the less work option if it is possible