News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Online Train Retails

Started by HOLondon, February 17, 2007, 07:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOLondon

I’m getting back into the hobby after a long absence, and I am looking for good fair priced online retailers (specifically HO).  Any suggestions?

Thanks

SteamGene

You can't go wrong with Trainworld or Standard Hobby Supply for most things.  I recommend Tony's Train Xchange for DCC.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Dr EMD

I have used Trainland/Trainworld in the New York City area as they have a brick and mortar store, an 800 number and a web site.

I use Walthers / Terminal Hobby ONLY when on sale item (Budd passenger cars = $14.00 or lower) and for hard to get item (Detail West detailing parts).

When I need Athearn parts, I have to go direct to Athearn.  ;)
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Atlantic Central

I will echo the Trainworld recommendation and add that if you call them on their regular number, rather than the 800 number, they will take all the time you need to answer questions and take your order.

Another great store with great mail order service is M B Klein, on the web at www.modeltrainstuff.com. They have a deeper modeler oriented inventory than most low priced outlets, great prices, and a store if you are near Baltimore.

Sheldon

Ralph-On30

I like

http://micro-mark.com/

Always Good Service.

I do agree with Stewart,

we should support our Local Hobby Shop,

if possible.

I do buy magazines and small supplies at the L.H.S.,

But they must order Bachmann On30.

And charge Full Price.

LD303

discountrainsonline.com, and towerhobbies.com

excellemnt quick service and better than usual prices...PLUS....online sales and closeouts.   check out modelpower.com too. clearance sales ongoing.

Mark Damien

Discount Hobby Warehouse, Il & Trainworld, NY & The Favourite Spot, TX
http://www.discounthobbywarehouse.net/

Happy Shopping
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Robert Grace

I'm lucky enough to live near the brick and mortar Trainworld here in Brooklyn. Was just there over the weeked picking up a remote turn out. Always helpful--threw in the new 2007 Bachman catalog for my wintertime viewing amusement.Highly recommended
Brooklyn Bob
L&N

Seasaltchap

I would ask you all to support your local model shop.

The Internet and eBay have lead to a lot of shops closing, and the demise of the hobby. We are not doing the hobby any favors by short curcuiting our local shop.

It takes a shop window to excite a youngster's imagination and to get them into the hobby.

Regards

Stewart
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

Atlantic Central

Stewart,

I agree and disagree. I spend my hobby dollars at number of local (within 40 miles) brick and mortar hobby/train stores, as well as several big mailorder outlets (most of which also have retail stores).

I worked in the retail hobby business from the age 14 and know what you mean about the value of the local shop.

But, I will not go out of my way to pay more than the going rate for something and I will not support businesses that are not responsive to my needs.

As I noted in another recent thread on the topic of a train outlet closing, Many years ago a shop owner I worked for realized that the amount of product available and the oncoming discounting would require a new kind of hobby shop in the future. One that is big enough to buy direct and sell competitively wihile still providing good service.

There are lots of such shops today and many are able to do this because their mail order business gives them enough volume to buy direct at the right price. And often they serve those with no local shop within a reasonable driving distance.

One fine example is M B Klein in Balitmore. Great selection, great service, brick and mortar and mail order/web and discount prices since the 1950's.

Small local shops like those I worked in as a teenager, while romantic, cannot have repersentitive inventories of todays vast selection of product nor can they provide reasonable prices in todays market. If I am going to shop there, I expect a reasonable selection of what is available and reasonable prices. Not necessarily the lowest price, but a price in line with the discounts generally available.

And as much fun as the "local" shop was, even then it was MORE fun to go into Baltimore to Kleins where they had "EVERYTHING!". He was a premier large shop even back then in this area and he knew that price and selection drew people from great distances to spend money.

So yes, support hobby shops, but don't pay too much, and expect a good selection. Would you shop at a grocery that had to special order in milk and bread?

Sheldon

GlennW

I'd like to support the LHS. We have 1 in Nashville & 1 in nearby Franklin. A high state sales tax of 9.25% drives a lot of major purchases online.

I don't consider big chains like Hobby Lobby or HobbyTown to be a LHS. They can be an alternative to WM for paint, glue & other essential supplies.

I may check out some of the advertisers in MR or RMC. At least they support the magazines I read. On vacations, I usually make it a point to visit a store listed in the back classified sections.

I like MicroMark.com for small tools.                                                                                                                                                                                         
MB Klein modeltrainstuff.com Baltimore                                                             Caboosehobbies.com Denver
toytrainheaven.com PA                                                                                                                                   

Seasaltchap

There is panic among UK enthusiasts that buying and selling on eBay.co.uk has to be registered with HM tax collectors. The classification of "Model Railways" on the site has had 10,000 items at once, and is currently running at about 3000.
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

tiny

I have good luck & deals with Caboose Hobbies, san val, & MICRO MARK, Good luck........
DIRECTOR OF IMPORTANT STUFF

Atlantic Central

Stewart,

Tax collectors are a subject we should avoid on here before I start talking about how we are being robbed at gun point by the government and some liberal starts telling me about how they "need" the money to save me from myself and that  I "owe" all those people who live off the taxes I pay.

There are plenty of "grey market" economies, E-bay is just the newest! It's a shame the orginal limitations on taxation where ever removed from the US Constitution.

As for the UK, I know nothing of their tax system other than to know I'm sure the taxes are too high.

Sheldon