News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My Mogul backdate saga continues

Started by Terry Toenges, January 30, 2018, 12:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Harold told me the PSC C-16 peaked roof cab will fit. Thanks Harold.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

I see no mayor problems converting the roof.
The cab is build up from several layers of thin plywood.
The kit comes in several sheets so you will have plenty of scrap wood left.
And you know old Chinese saying.......measure twice , measure again , cut once ;D

Ton

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

That will work.
It's plastic but who cares.

Ton

Terry Toenges

I just received my headlights from PSC.  Now I'm conflicted. The PSC light is much bigger than the Wiseman light. I'm not sure which one to use or which one looks the most correct. The PSC one is huge.
The PSC one is #1312 - C16 Early style
The Wiseman one is 0215 - Box style headlight
Is the PSC one too big or the Wiseman one too little or was there that much difference in size back then?
In the pic below is the stock Bachmann Mogul light - the Wiseman light - the PSC light

If the PSC light isn't too big, I could probably grind off the inside part of the bottom and some of the inside metal and the light would slip right down over the Bachmann light. That way I wouldn't have to remove the Bachmann light. It does have a separate back plate so I can get to the inside.
On the other hand, I already have a hole drilled in the Wiseman light so that the bulb fits up in there, but I'll have to solder the wires. It's just that one looks so small next to the PSC one.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I set the stuff on the old boiler and did a couple of shots with the different headlights.
I know it's like "Honey does my butt look too big in this dress?" but does the PSC headlight look too big or the Wiseman headlight look too small?
PSC

Wiseman

Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

YES!both.
Don't forget that some of those lanterns , especially the very early ones were huge.
The wiseman one is a bit Petit and the PSC one is big.
What i usually do if i am in doubt is to measure and calculate the real size.
That gives you a good impression how big or small something is in the real world.

What I also do when putting parts on a model is to paint them approximately the same colour as the model.
Believe me , it looks much more different than parts of various colours.  

Ton

Terry Toenges

Thanks Ton. That's what I thought.
I've looked at a lot of pics of Moguls on line and I see different sizes.
The one Don Mason used is pretty big.

Here's a C & S one with a big one.

Maybe once I paint it and the domes and stack, it won't stand out so much.
I ordered some semi-flat black spray to paint them.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

You will have to get a good overall balans of the boiler furniture and the Cab together.
And when you use oil/gas lamps , loose the steam turbine.

Ton

Terry Toenges

I took the generator off. I had the platform with the little lights on backwards. I'm going to remove the little lights, also.
I did some comparison with pics of other real Moguls to compare lights. I think the big light will ok once I get it painted.
As she nears the station, little Johnny will tug on his Dad's coat and say, "Look Pa. Here comes that one with the great big headlight."  ;D

Feel like a Mogul.

charon

I like the big light.  I have seen many photos of locos from that era and most of them had the large lights.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Terry Toenges

This morn, I was looking over the book that I have have called "Narrow Gauge In The Rockies" by Lucius and Beebe. I did see quite a few large headlights.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I got 'er done with the headlight. I took the PSC light and did a bunch of grinding on the inside and cut out the floor. It now fits over the stock Bachmann light so I don't have to mess with the stock one at all.
It took a 29/64" bit to get the right size hole.
Now, I have to do the second one and hope I can duplicate it. Double headed old time looking Moguls will be nice.
I got the C16 air pumps in the mail today. It looks like 8 or 9 parts to assemble and no pictures or instructions. I'll to find some pics somewhere.

The light came with a back plate to cover the back.

It looks a little cocked because it's just sitting on there. I'll have it straight when I glue it after I paint it.

I have it sitting on the new boiler.

Feel like a Mogul.

ksivils

Nice solution to the mounting your new light. I've been thinking of "backdating" a "modern" 2-6-0 for tourist service and the big headlight would be a nice touch.

Terry Toenges

I don't like it sitting on the second platform though. I'm going to try figure a way to remove that platform so it sits on the base platform. I'll need to figure how to run the wires. I thought about cutting a slot in the base one so the wires could lay down in there. I could just snip the other platform away because that's plastic, but the base is metal so it would be harder to cut a slot in it.
Feel like a Mogul.