Spectrum 2-4-4 Forney minimum curve radius

Started by jcd356b, January 31, 2018, 07:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcd356b

I'm having trouble keeping my Forney on R2 or R3 radius curves.  Any suggestions, or is it not possible?  What is the smallest radius that it can run on? I really like the loco, but don't have a great deal of space to work with.  Any info much appreciated.

Thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi JCD,

Bad news is the Forney, according to Bachmann " performs best on 8 foot diameter curves or greater"

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

jcd356b

Thanks Bill,

That's what I was afraid of.  I do not have a manual, and saw a video that mentioned  a"locking trucks"feature that would accommodate a smaller radius. Not sure what that was referring to, or how it would work.

Nathan

JCD,

In the instructions there is a way to allow the locomotives to use smaller radius.  It allows the rear truck to move side to side rather then just pivot on the frame.

I have mine properly working on LGB R3 radius no problem.  1175 MM  46.26 inch radius,  2350 mm  91.52 inch diameter.

Nathan

jcd356b

Thanks Nathan, I don't have the instructions, and I couldn't find one to download.  Going to try to figure it out.  Sure beats selling it.

Nathan

JCD,

If you turn the locomotive over and put the rear truck to your left and it is centered, looking just to the left of the right set of wheels on the rear truck there is a lever.  Try pulling it up and turning it 90 degrees.

Nathan

jcd356b

R. J. Raleigh

There is also a screw directly beneath the steamchest; if you remove this screw, the whole power unit will be able to pivot freely.

jcd356b