News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ez track switch problem

Started by ragman, January 31, 2018, 11:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragman

I am new to trains, have a 5x8 layout , some EZ track and some flex.  I have a left hand switch that I cannot get my train to get across.  Keeps derailing at the frog.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Flare

Is there an obstruction in the frog's flangeway?

bbmiroku

Occasionally I have this problem with my Life-Like Power-Loc switches.  Do you see where the rails are attached to the 'throwbar'?  Should be two small circular 'rivet holes'.  Sometimes they widen a little bit.  For me, I just flip the tracks back and forth a few times until the rails re-seat themselves.

ragman

Quote from: ragman on January 31, 2018, 11:20:42 PM
I am new to trains, have a 5x8 layout , some EZ track and some flex.  I have a left hand switch that I cannot get my train to get across.  Keeps derailing at the frog.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

not that I can tell & I changed out the switch, same result

Flare

Does this happen with all your trains or just one locomotive?

The problem could be that the wheels aren't set at the correct width.  You can use a NMRA gauge for your scale to check.

James in FL

Hi ragman,

First, check both your wheelsets and the track to be sure everything is in gauge.
Then, put a straight edge over the frog in both the straight and diverging routes along the length of the top of the railhead.
Then do it again, this time crossing the width of the turnout over the frog and guard rails and wing rails.
Everything level?
It may be possible a wheel is dropping into the frog, check that too.
Get your eyes down low on it, and run slow and see what exactly is happening and where.

Good luck

bbmiroku

Is it a steam engine, diesel engine, electric engine, trolley, or other?

Trainman203

If you changed the switch and the problem persists, the problem isn't the track, it's the equipment.

You may be trying to run equipment that is too long through a too sharply curved switch.  New folks often start with sharp curves everywhere but want to run big engines and very long passenger cars that either don't like the curve sharpness or simply can't make it around, the wheel flanges forced into the curve and picking at every molecular track imperfection. Exactly "what" equipment is derailing?  What "number" switch are you using?  What is the radius of your curves?  I'll bet good money that these answers will isolate your problem.

ragman

Thanks for the comments.  Tried your suggestions and looks good now.  Continuing on.