Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2019

Started by Trainboy100, February 03, 2018, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky_ULP

I personally feel like Peter Sam is a smart choice, but at the same time I feel like the Bachmann range in general is way overdosed in green and red-ish engines. Sir Handel would be a welcome shade of blue to the range.

Even with Sir Hadyn in restoration, he is coming along nicely. I imagine Bachmann can easily get the blueprints to Haydn if they want to make Sir Handel, or even do him in the near future once Sir Haydn is done.

TerencetheTractor525

Great work on Peter Sam Chaz! As always, I enjoyed reading every bit of what you wrote. As for the questions...

Quote from: Chaz on February 26, 2018, 10:55:12 PM
As usual here are questions for fans:

• Would you buy a Bachmann Peter Sam?
  • Do you think he should be made next or should a different narrow gauge engine come before him?
  • Can you also see his sales doing as well as Skarloey and Rheneas?

1. Of course.
2. I originally thought that Duncan should be next due to the idea of announcing the locos in rainbow order. However, after thinking again, I think that Peter Sam makes the most sense for every reason you stated.
3. Absolutely.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Chaz

Glad to see the positive responses to Peter Sam so far!  I think he really would be the best choice for the next narrow gauge engine and I'm glad to see I'm not alone on that.  If it means waiting until Sir Haydn's overhaul is completed, I personally wouldn't mind waiting for Sir Handel after Bachmann would make Peter Sam.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Plow_Bender

In my personal opinion, Peter Sam is definitely the next character I would like to see in narrow gauge.  Quite honestly I feel he should have been announced this year, but when looking at things from Bachmann's standpoint, it's understandable.  I think Chaz made some very good points in his post, but I also have a few things I'd like to add as well.

I agree that Peter Sam has the most appeal and sales potential, and I've seen the demand for him has been greater than any of the other characters in narrow gauge.  Yes there's been talk about Duncan and Sir Handel too, but it's been an on and off topic.  I personally feel that out of the 3 engines, Peter Sam would be the best one to add to the range for 2019.

When also considering the fact that some people would go out and buy 2 Peter Sam models so they could have one with the old funnel, that's another good point.  However, I'm sure there's probably diehard fans out there who would go out and purchase a 3rd model to make him with his precision engineered special funnel aka the drain pipe.  While I myself would be content just with having a stock standard model from Bachmann, I'm sure there's a few people that would love to do the modifications mentioned earlier.

So my thoughts are that if Peter Sam was made, yes, I would buy him.  I also feel he should be made next considering he's been in the most demand, and I'd honestly rather see him over Duncan considering the chances Duncan may be in his CGI render.  There's also no doubt in my mind that Peter Sam would do just as well as Skarloey and Rheneas in terms of sales, simply because the narrow gauge range is the first ready to run HOn30 and/or 009 range out there.  Although I think many would be happy just to see Peter Sam for 2019, I'm also going to say it would be worth while for Bachmann to add a brakevan to the list as it is a piece of rolling stock that's also been in high demand.  Also, considering announcements the last couple years for HO and Large Scale, HOn30 is the only range I have any hope for at this point.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

BassTbone

I feel that Chaz makes several good points.  With the unique funnel and being a prominent member of the narrow gauge railway (being present in every season they featured), I'd be one to buy it. 

Anthony P2

without a doubt i would buy Peter Sam! I've always loved the character and I'm really happy they gave him a proper Geisl ejector when the NG engines came back in full CGI! Plus he would be the only RTR model of the tattoo class which would be nice for modelers of both the Talyllyn Railway as well as the Corris Railway. Honestly, I think any narrow gauge engine Bachmann produces will be a big seller.

TrainFan97

Just like how Daisy has the most demand for HO Scale, Peter Sam has the most demand for HOn30 Scale. Hopefully, both get announced in 2019, along with Narrow Gauge Brake Vans.

Hopefully, they'll have at least a limited number of Rusty models for Christmas. His image may not get revealed until at least summer.

Peter Sam definitely has a lot of potential for the HOn30 range. He will have amazing sales, just like Skarloey and Rheneas. Also hoping Sir Haydn's overhaul gets finished before 2020, so Bachmann can eventually get to Sir Handel. If not, they could make Luke. There's a very good chance Duncan would be based on his awful CGI render.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Chaz

If it really came down to it, I would buy a model of Luke before buying a model of Duncan in his CGI render.  Even then, I would still prefer Bachmann to make Sir Handel and Peter Sam first before any other narrow gauge engine gets considered.  

That being said, I wouldn't rule out Duncan being announced before Sir Handel because of the overhaul.  Either way compared to Duncan, it's clear more fans would rather see Peter Sam before Duncan and hopefully that will be something else Bachmann will take into consideration.

Once again, thanks everyone for the positive responses! :)

AJW98Productions

Quote from: Chaz on February 26, 2018, 10:55:12 PM
As usual here are questions for fans:

• Would you buy a Bachmann Peter Sam?
  • Do you think he should be made next or should a different narrow gauge engine come before him?
  • Can you also see his sales doing as well as Skarloey and Rheneas?

[...][L]et me know what you think.
I agree with most of the points you made in your post Chaz, I definitely think Peter Sam is the most logical for the next engine, and definitely the one I want to see next.

Now, as for those questions, I would certainly get a model of him, however, I personally will only start modeling Narrow Gauge Thomas engines once I have the space for it, so for the time being, I wouldn't be able to, but I definitely would buy a model in future.

I sort of already answered point 2 by accident, so skipping to point 3...potentially. Now I mean no harm when I say this, but from kitbashers across the internet, I certainly saw more excitement over a Talyllyn conversion from Skarloey, than a Dolgoch conversion from Rheneas, so I assume that perhaps the range will see a little less enthusiasm from people outside the Thomas community as it progresses, which does mean less sales. However, I could be completely wrong, and even if I'm not, I still maintain that sales of a Peter Sam model would do incredible, due to the Thomas community alone.

~Alex :)

TrainFan97

I can imagine if Bachmann UK were to make Talyllyn and Dolgoch models using the Skarloey and Rheneas toolings respectively. They're doing that with rolling stock, specifically the slate wagons; using toolings from the Thomas line.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

thomasgleek444

Everyone is gonna hate me for this because everyone says large scale is dying.
but I at least want Edward, since he is not that far of a remodel from James
and the red passenger cars that would go with James (since they are JUST a repaint of Annie/Clarabel)
really, any engine past that (since its not ever possible for Henry and Gordon), isn't really worth having anyway, there is bill and ben which would be easy to make, and other small engines like that, like Oliver, Duck, Mavis, lady(even though you never see her in the show anymore), ect
but i still have hope, if not then its time to make a custom Thomas large scale engines

Metal

It's pretty conclusive that Peter will be the next NG Engine in the range. Granted that he's had a decent amount of screentime in the CGI era. I will also say that Peter Sam has the best CGI render out of all the NG characters currently in the show. The NG Engines were one of those characters that have vastly improved in detailing with CGI. Except for Duncan where his proportions are squat, but both his real life basis and his S4 model are lanky.

With Sir Handel, just a word of thought that he would suffer the same fate as Edward and Henry. However Edward and Henry have at least had their moments to shine in the CGI era. Sir Handel though has no character in CGI. You could replace him with "Inga from Norway" I could still see Duncan following up after Peter Sam. It won't be a surprise if Bachmann would consider prioritizing Luke or Victor over Sir Handel

I also want to say that with the NG coaches, and by the sounds of it, will have their own tooling rather then being repaints of the PECO ones, especially since none of them resemble Tayllyn Coaches. It really makes this years announcements sound like a blessing in disguise, since I have a feeling the Skarloey Railway Coaches will sell out quickly, just like the Red Branchline Coaches.

My two cents.  

Chaz

In terms of Bachmann making Sir Handel, just like Daisy, I would really like to see Sir Handel being made, but I also completely understand that he has some things going against him like his basis being in overhaul and his minimal usage compared to the rest of the NG isn't helping all that much either as Metal brought up earlier.  I personally wouldn't mind as much if they did Sir Handel last out of the original six, (even though I would prefer Duncan being made last), but I do think Sir Handel needs to be made before any of the newer narrow gauge characters like Luke.

Either way, while Sir Handel has the right potential, I think it would be best for Bachmann to wait until the Sir Haydn's overhaul is completed so we can at least see him in great aesthetic quality like the Skarloey and Rheneas models.  At least that would make the model of Sir Handel worth the long wait just the Duck, Donald, and Douglas models.  The same can also be said for Peter Sam too, but at least he would be a great model to anticipate Bachmann to make in the meantime before they would get around to making Sir Handel, or Duncan for that matter.

TerencetheTractor525

With a long week of college exams behind me, it feels great to finally have the time to share my thoughts on the HO rolling stock that I believe has the most potential for 2019: Troublesome Truck #6.  

So, why should Bachmann make Troublesome Truck #6? To begin, the troublesome trucks have always done well with sales, since fans both young and old love rolling stock with faces, and the troublesome trucks are no exception. And, the wonderful thing about them is that each truck offers a unique tooling, paint scheme, and facial expression (with the exception of Troublesome Truck #1 & #2, which share the same tooling and paint scheme).

As for Troublesome Truck #6, I have three ideas.

Idea #1: Reuse Tar Tanker

I think that reusing the tar tanker for Troublesome Truck #6 would make fans ecstatic, simply because those who have missed out on the Tar Tanker could then have a way to get one. As for the facial expression, I actually do not have a preference because its small size already makes the face unique in its own way. Overall, this is what I would really like to see.

Idea #2: Reuse Oil Tanker

This is probably the most realistic option for two reasons. Firstly, the troublesome oil tankers were seen in the special Journey Beyond Sodor. Since this special came out recently, it seems likely that the troublesome oil tanker is what Bachmann will go for. However, with Troublesome Truck #5 being based off a troublesome truck from Season 6, I could be wrong. The second reason as to why this seems to be the most realistic option is that Bachmann could then discontinue the oil tanker that is currently in the range, which would be similar to what they did with Spiteful Brake Van replacing the original brake van.

Idea #3: Reuse Ice Cream Wagon Tooling

I think that reusing the Ice Cream Wagon tooling is another idea with a good chance. After all, it is the only tooling in the HO range that was only used once so far (with the exception of specific characters such as Toad and Henrietta). As for the paint scheme, I would like to see it in a brown color scheme that is similar to the Sodor Salt Wagon. Lastly, for the face, many fans have suggested the angry expression that is shown above, and I completely agree with that suggestion. Here is also a head-on shot of it:

There is currently no angry troublesome truck in the range, so having Troublesome Truck #6 with that particular angry face would surely please fans. Overall, I would be very content with this option as well.

Here are some questions for fans:
Would you buy Troublesome Truck #6?
Which of the three ideas would you prefer? Or, is there an additional idea that you would like to see?
Can you see Troublesome Truck #6 doing as well as the other troublesome trucks in the range?
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Chaz

Definetely a good read Terence, I can safely say that I think another troublesome truck is a pretty good possibility.  Designs and facial expressions are also important factors too, so I would be curious to see how the next one would turn out.  Now for the questions.

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on March 02, 2018, 09:46:03 PM

Here are some questions for fans:
Would you buy Troublesome Truck #6?
Which of the three ideas would you prefer? Or, is there an additional idea that you would like to see?
Can you see Troublesome Truck #6 doing as well as the other troublesome trucks in the range?

If it has a decent design or even a nice facial expression then I would buy troublesome truck #6.
The design I would like to see the most personally is the single vent van tooling (ice cream wagon) repainted with the angry facial expression.  If they do a tanker I would be more than happy with a plain black/gray tanker with a face on it too.
The success rate of any troublesome truck would really come down to its design. If it's anything like #4, then I could see it getting a hard pass from a lot of fans. However, if Bachmann does their homework like they did with #5, then I could see the sales for it going really well.