News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train Show Treasure

Started by jonathan, February 04, 2018, 06:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

It's train show weekend here in the upper DC Metro Area (ahem Baltimore).  Here are couple of things that I picked up for projects.

Been wanting to make my F-7A/B set an ABA set (more prototypical).  So I picked up another F-7A:

DSC_1052 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Must have been an older version.  It didn't say "DCC Ready" on the box.  Turns out it is DCC ready.  Added a decoder, replaced the couplers, cleaned and weathered the truck frames, and thoroughly cleaned the wheels.

I've programmed it to run backwards, of course:

DSC_1053 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Will get to detailing the shell later as I will be traveling back to the show, today, to run trains on our club display.

BTW, the A/B arrangment was strong already (33 cars without breathing hard).  A-B-A ought to be something to behold.

Also, I've been wanting to replace the European (NEM) coupling arrangement on my Acela set.  Just too hard to snap together and take apart whenever I want to run the set at the club or shows.

I found these Kadee replacements.  They are #20s, but also marked 'NEM 362' in smaller print:

DSC_1049 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Turns out they are NOT a great fit for the locomotives, as the new couplers spread the distance between the locos and the passenger cars.  HOWEVER, they are great for coupling between the passenger cars:

DSC_1056 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

That's about the same distance apart as with the old couplers.  I'll run them today and see how they hold up.  The couplers are plastic, not metal.  I think they have to be plastic in order for the connecting prongs to pinch and click in place.

Anyway,  I picked up some scenery stuff and a couple boxcar craftsman kits as I am wont to do.  Just wanted to share some of the fun I had yesterday, along with running trains.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jhanecker2

To Jonathon :  Looks good and is a good Idea  .   I have an Acela set  on order   , and will probably   order  the NEM  couplers as well .   I used a set to modify some  Maerklin   Harry Potter   passenger cars to be able  to run on DC  .   May have to consider  modifying  my  Bachmann  Harry Potter cars that way as well it would make them  more flexible to run  with North American  Locomotives.   John 2.

Len

Jonathan - Kadee NEM 362 couplers are available in other lengths if you want to close up the gap between cars:

#17 - Short
#18 - Medium
#19 - Long
#20 - Extra Long

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

bbmiroku

I also went to the Baltimore train show this weekend.  (BTW, we're not part of DC and we may get a little uppity about it. :P )  I was able to get everything I went in there looking for (which is a rarity)!  I got a few packs of different Kadee couplers, some springs and uncoupler magnets, a W&A Old Time engine, a small 0-4-0T for my yard, some passenger cars, and a model or two.  I even picked up some things I didn't know I wanted (2-train engine shed with operating doors; big box o' spare parts).

And then on Sunday, I spent the day watching all the layouts (and leaving my favorite winter hat at a vendor :'( ).

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

For your Acela set, I would recommend the Kadee #19 or even the #18 couplers as the #17 ones would just be too short. And while the shank (the part that goes into the coupler pocket) is plastic, the coupler head itself is metal.

Jhanecker2

The hardest parts to find  seem to be the pockets for the  NEM 362 couplers  .  Does any body in North America  sell them ? They would make it much easier to do conversions.   J2.

Len

The web site for the one place in the US I knew of that carried NEM pockets is gone, and I haven't been able to find anywhere else in the US that carries them. You could try these folks, they ship internationally and take PayPal, as well as all the major cards:

http://www.dccsupplies.com/cat-591/symoba-nem-conversions.htm

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

DR Fan

There are several different types of NEM close couplers.  Fleischmann makes "Profi Couplers", Maerklin makes their own and ROCO has their version.  I use Eurorailhobbies in Canada, there are also several other dealers scattered around the country.   Just do a Google search for ROCO model trains or Maerklin.  Maerklin are AC trains but their close couplers work on either DC or AC trains.

DR Fan

I forgot to mention that all three of these companies couplers are completely plastic except for Maerklin's which are mixture of plastic  and metal.  I have done European model railroading for many years and I have never had one break.  For ease of uncoupling, I recommend either the ROCO or Fleischmann couplers.  To uncouple, simply lift one of the two coupled cars up.

jonathan

Update:

The Kadee NEM coupler adapters did not work out so well.  Sure, the train would run fine on my layout.  However, it would uncouple like crazy on the modular layout we use for train shows.  Modular layouts can be a bit rougher, trackwork-wise.  So, I'm going back to the original coupler system.  It a pain to couple and uncouple, but the train does stay together, even over humps and bumps.

On a happier note--I'm making progress on the Bachmann F-7A.  Lightened up the crew, so they are more visible.  Also, starting to fit grab irons (and eyebrows), completed the cut levers, and added an air hose:

DSC_1070 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Oh yeah... added some numbers, too:

DSC_1069 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1068 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Also, completed two more resin boxcar kits for my collection:

DSC_1065 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1064 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

It all looks fantastic, Jon. The box cars turned out really well. Nice work!

Sid

jonathan

Thanks, Sid!

Would love to see my wood boxcars running on your awesome layout.

Too bad the miles are so great.

Regards,

Jonathan

bbmiroku

jonathan

Thanks!

Now for some final shots.

I added lift rings, painted the interior, and installed the final hand grabs.  I bit more weathering, and she's done.  This is my tail unit in the A-B-A configuration.  For the photos, I put her first.

DSC_1099 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1097 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1096 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1092 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1088 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1084 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1072 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Regards,

Jonathan

Woody Elmore

Jon - super job on the F unit and the box cars. It must have taken ages to drill all the holes for the grab irons!