News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

steamer letter removal

Started by bob kaplan, February 05, 2018, 12:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Did some searching on youtube and a number of people have demonstrated success for letter removal from Athearn engines by using MICROSOL.  Has anyone tried this with Bachmann steams with success?  Thank you.

Flare

I use Testors' "Easy Lift-Off" to unletter my Bachmann products.

Doesn't hurt the underlying plastic nor blackened metal.

I dip a Q-tip in the solution and apply where I want it, let it soak into the lettering for a while, then scrub the letters with the dry end until they break down and absorb into the cotton.

WoundedBear

ELO is a good product. Gentle on plastics too.

Good call Flare.

Sid

James in FL

QuoteDid some searching on youtube and a number of people have demonstrated success for letter removal from Athearn engines by using MICROSOL.  Has anyone tried this with Bachmann steams with success?  Thank you.

I have used this method on about half dozen Bachmann Steam lokies and their tenders.
It works just as you see on the Youtube videos with both the white and gold inks.
Very quick and efficient.
It has become my method of choice.

Have not tried the ELO, so can't comment on which is a superior method/product.

Good luck

bob kaplan

Thanks for the input all.   It's appreciated.

indian_hills_r_r

flare,, where did you purchase the "testor's easy lift off for lettering?

Flare

Quote from: indian_hills_r_r on February 16, 2018, 11:49:48 PM
flare,, where did you purchase the "testor's easy lift off for lettering?

I had to get a used one on Ebay, I'm seeing more results on Google Shopping this evening than I did back then.

Len

ELO is available on Amazon and from Walthers (Item#: 704-F542143). For whatever reason, it actually appears cheaper on Walthers than on Amazon.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.