Compatibility of Bachman Speed Controller to Foreign N Scale Engine

Started by Kellgeo, February 06, 2018, 12:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kellgeo

I am new to railroad modelling.  I received a made in Germany N Scale train set for Christmas,  I would like to use the Bachman Power Pack 44211.  My instructions in English state to use 12V DC only.  How would I be able to convert to 12V to use the 44211.  Will I be able also to use Bachman N Scale EZ tracks and terminal rerailer with this foreign made set.   From what I've read, Bachman would be easy for me to assemble.

dutchbuilder

N is a international standard, exept GB.
12Volt is 12Volt , As well in English as in German.
So i see no issue.
It's more a non issue.

Ton

James in FL

If your using the trains in North America, then no problems.
Your transformer takes care of that for you.
The power requirements remain the same across the board (globe).
It's the mains supply that differs.

QuoteN is a international standard, exept GB.
Not sure what is trying to be conveyed here?
Power requirement?
Gauge?
Scale?

dutchbuilder

N scale is an international standard , except for Great Britain , They have a different standard for N scale as they have for H0 (00)

Ton

Len

UK N scale is 1:148 while the rest of the world is 1:160. Something to do with motors at the time not fitting into 1:160 models of UK locomotives.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Maletrain

Many of the previous replys are making more confusion than clarity.

"N gauge" is 9 mm, and track all over the world is all 9 mm for N gauge.  But, real railroads in different parts of the world have different track gauges.  So, when somebody scales-down their trains, buildings, people figures, etc. by the ratio of real track gauge to 9mm, they get slightly different numbers.  That means that "N scale" is different between different countries that have different real railroad track gauges.

But none of that applies to the OP's question.  What he wants to know is whether he can use a U.S. version of a Bachmann electrical power supply to run a train made in Germany, and use Bachmann track.

For the track, the answer is probably "yes".  The gauge of the track and wheels should be the same 9mm.  But, I said "probably" because there are some differences in wheel flange size and the spacing between running rails and guard rails on switches that differ between manufacturers in the various countries, and those sometimes cause problems with trains derailing.  The best way to know the answer is to ask a very specific question that provides the actual foreign N scale engine to see if anybody here has tried that combination, already.

As for the power pack, basically, 12 volts DC is 12 volts DC, but not all Bachmann controllers are actually set at 12 volts.  (For example, I have a basic Bachmann DCC unit that really provides 18 volts, but I use it to run N scale equipment that is supposed to see no more than 14 volts.  My Bachmann DCC engines have survived my early use of that controller.  But, I also have some other manufacturers' locomotives that are not supposed to be exposed to more than 16 volts, so I ended-up getting a better controller from NCE.)  That is more a problem with Digital Command Control (DCC) units with internal electronincs than it is with simple direct current (DC) units, where the motors just see the voltage on the rails, and that is varied from 0 volts to whatever makes the train go fast enough.  However, now that many locomotives are "dual mode" (that is, able to run on DC or DCC), it might still be an issue if the locomotive is dual mode and is used on a DC controller that goes over the voltage rating of its internal electronics.  So, if the OP's foreign locomtive is purely DC, with no internal electronics, he is probably safe using any Bachmann controller.  But, if it is a "dual  mode" locomotive, then he probably should actually measure the output of the controller he wants to use to be sure that it is not too high.