News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stock is in Short Supply

Started by Plow_Bender, February 06, 2018, 03:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plow_Bender

As of fall of last year, I've been buying a lot of things from Bachmann's parts department either for modifications or upgrades, but have been waiting months to order other parts that I need.  The issue here is that Bachmann's parts department (in terms of large scale) has many parts that have been sold out for months and not been restocked.  It has me wondering what exactly is the hold up on more parts and when can we expect these sold out parts to be back in stock?  What concerns me the most is that it's not just a handful of parts that have been unavailable, but that its more or less around the hundreds mark.  Many accessories such as wheels, trucks, couplers, screws, etc are the most common parts that sell, which has me curious why Bachmann has not restocked them in the last few months.  Hopefully someone out there can shed some light on this for me.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Loco Bill Canelos

Rusty, I see there has been no response to your post. I will try to shed some light.

Bachmann operates on a production run basis. Lets say a boxcar. They will run extra parts at the same time.  When the run ends, that is it, until the next run, if there is one. on slow  moving items there may never be another run.

As a result when parts in inventory are sold out, they may never be replaced.  Common high volume parts have a better chance of restocking.

In another post I suggested buying used items at swap meets or train shows as your own parts supply.  in the case of manufacturers who have gone out of business, this is the only way to protect your supply of parts.  If you have a damaged piece of rolling stock, you can use it as a parts supply.

Sometimes the only way to  get a needed part is to find a sub assembly which has more parts than you need just to get to get the one you want. 

I would not expect to get out of stock parts for long out of stock locomotives and rolling stock, restocked any time soon if ever.

Not what you want to hear, but just my opinion after following Bachmann Large Scale Products since they came out in 1989.

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Stokerman

Certainly that is a bit discouraging as I'm needing some parts for the 36/38 ton two truck Shays. I have just converted one to R/C & Battery power, but noted a broken screw ear on one of truck covers (motor blocks) and also broke a set of cab steps in the process. I have a dozen various Bachmann large scale engines that I have been saving until an outdoor layout could be built, which I am now finally getting around to actualizing. Sad to think my purchases over the years in anticipation of this, have been a mistake.

So what about the lifetime warranty anyway? Do they have parts that they are saving to deal with those issues? I am given to understand that the early Shay motor blocks are defective due to bad plastic which is certainly the cause of the screw ear on my cover crumbling. Seems with manufacturing problems such as this cropping up, a robust after sales market for parts could be somewhat profitable, and would certainly be morally correct under the circumstances!!!
Are we having fun yet???

Loco Bill Canelos

Replacement trucks and many shay parts are available in the estore:

Here is a link to the trucks:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_629&products_id=6467

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Stokerman

Hi Bill ... Thank you very much for the reply!

Yes, I'm aware that whole trucks may still be purchased, but I don't seem to be needing to replace the whole $176.50 truck just because a screw ear is broken on a $5.50 top cover as seen here:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_629&products_id=7225

I note that there are many other parts still offered, and have availed myself of some of them, like the delicate Hose Hanger set, and a couple of spare Headlights, but also note that the Cab Steps are listed as "Sold Out", and they are a delicate and easily damaged detail part that should continue to sell well ... or so I think! It appears that they are the same for both the 36/38 ton and 55 ton Shays as many parts are interchangeable.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_143&products_id=4768

Well, it is what it is, and I'll figure some kind of a work around for the parts most critically required!!!

Are we having fun yet???

Greg Elmassian

Unfortunately, Bachmann and their owner Kader are not non-profit organizations.

We had the same issues with parts for Aristo (made by Kader) too, and it was revealed that it made more sense to only make parts during the loco production run. In fact your complaint that you only need a $5.50 part is EXACTLY why the parts business is not profitable when people expect "reasonable" prices on parts.

Sure, a full compliment of parts could always be provided, but at the current selling volumes, and to have them all in stock would make them crazy priced. So major subassemblies (full motor blocks) or even a whole new loco are what we have after a production runs "parts" are depleted.

It's simple economics. Many companies, again Aristo as an example, simply cannibalized new locos for the parts needed, but it's much harder to manage an inventory of "partially scavenged" locos... so again not all companies do this.

Sorry, but this is the reality of what is becoming a niche hobby.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Stokerman

Hello Greg

Thank you for your reasoned and well thought out reply. I do understand economics to the extent that the price point for the $5.50 Top Cover that I need may well need to be $15.50 or even $20.50, which still beats the heck out of the $176.50 for the entire Motor Block and Truck assembly if that is not actually needed. Other parts should also be priced at a point that allows the company to make a small profit on each sale, such that the $1.10 Cab Steps may well need to sell for $10 or so, but I suspect that sales would still be made, as these are wonderfully detailed scale models that most owners will want to keep looking and working correctly ... or so I think!

Again I ask ... What about the supposed Lifetime Warranty on defective parts, of which this certainly qualifies?

As for this being just a "niche" hobby, well certainly, but in truth all hobbies can be similarly so describe as just a niche.
Are we having fun yet???

RkyGriz

Well guys, since the Yardmaster failed to respond to my post on this exact same question(and he never did to this one either!)and there is no definite answer to this dilemma  , my advice is to either buy parts locos on Ebay or run them less and display them/keep them in their boxes more. Otherwise, they'll eventually break down or have so many broken/missing parts that they become an eyesore that nobody wants and they may wind up in a land fill. We're all just lucky that Bachmann is still in business and able to honor the lifetime warranty on what they sell. Most L.S. manufacturers such as Aristocraft,Kalamazoo,and Delton are gone leaving only Bachmann, LGB, Piko ,and Hartland still making new product. But unless the market improves drastically, the future of our favorite pastime is in serious doubt.
Hopefully, things will turn around. But until then:
Enjoy it while you can!
Andrew

Joe Zullo

Quote from: RkyGriz on February 15, 2018, 06:54:13 PM
We're all just lucky that Bachmann is still in business and able to honor the lifetime warranty on what they sell. Most L.S. manufacturers such as Aristocraft,Kalamazoo,and Delton are gone leaving only Bachmann, LGB, Piko ,and Hartland still making new product.
Andrew

Charles Ro is going to be very surprised that USA Trains has gone out of business (according to you).  ::)

RkyGriz

Yup. I'm sure that they will be. I'll be sure to call them tomorrow and let them know! I just forgot to include USA Trains on my list of surviving  companies.  Their rolling stock is well built ,and I have one of their cabooses. My only complaint is that the windows have a tendency to fall out. Other than that, they're great! Please note that I didn't include Lionel as their new G Scale sets are ,from what I can tell,battery operated and meant more for kids than the hobbyist. Their older,electrically powered g scale sets were very nice, trouble free, and long lasting. Plus,there are still plenty of parts to be found on Ebay. The fact is that I started my collection with
Lionel's  Gold Rush Express set made back in 1987. I still have it ,and it still runs like new.