Bachmann Spectrum 1/20.3 scale K-27 counter weights

Started by fmatulewicz@ameritech.net, February 07, 2018, 06:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmatulewicz@ameritech.net

I recently walked into a hobby shop I sometimes frequent and couldn't pass up the deal the owner presented me on a Spectrum 1/20.3 K-27 #255 with snow plow. He had it on an upper shelf in the store for a very long time and wanted to move it. He told me it was one of the original releases. I have read where the counter weights on these engines is problematic and wanted to know how I can tell if I have one of these? I won't be able to run it for a few months as I'm moving my garden railroad location to a more spacious location.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

Some of the first runs did have loose counterweights that wobbled.  Mine did not have the problem, or any other problems. You can try to wiggle them, if they are tight you should have no problem.

Here is a link to some of the discussion:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,4068.0.html

If you were to have the problem, I would contact service and and find out your options.  If you bought it new from an authorized dealer keep your receipt.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Greg Elmassian

The problem was not the wobble per se, but the looseness  "rotationally" which allowed the rod gear to lock up and in severe cases destroy itself. Basically the loco went out of quarter.

Test it carefully, it can damage itself. Try forwards and backwards.

My recommendation is follow the fix you find in the threads.

Greg

Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

fmatulewicz@ameritech.net

Thank you gentlemen for the information. I checked my counter weights and they are tight and secure. No sloppiness at all. I plan on purchasing some of those roller bearing bench assemblies for stationery testing trains. I see a couple different models on Ebay. Any recommendations on what works best? I see some Bachmann E-Z Rollers on Ebay but can't find them listed on the Backmann site.

Loco Bill Canelos

HI,

Glad you are good to go!  As for the rollers, only the ones for the non drivers are in stock:
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=255_459&products_id=2988

Unfortunately the ball bearing style for the drivers are not in stock.   

As for functionality I can only say they work fine for me. I do not have the other brands, but have heard form other that they are ok as well.

Aside from Ebay you could try checking with Trainworld to see if they still have any, if you call them be sure to have the Bachmann product numbers or the phone order folks may not be able to help.   

Other than that happy hunting on Ebay.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!