News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing buildings

Started by Penn1974, February 08, 2018, 01:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn1974

I am getting ready to install some Walthers buildings on my layout. The layout is HO using Bachmann EZ track on a 2" foam base. I am thinking that I should shim the bases up some to compensate for the EZ track height. What material would you suggest and how high off the foam base? Thanks in advance.

Warflight

Is it a permanent layout?

What I did, was added scenery to my layout, some Durhams Water Putty for ground work, and ballast, and once the buildings were in place, everything looked perfect.

The road bed on EZ track may look a bit tall, but for a main line, it's pretty close to the right height... I really only needed to build up the ground around stations, and some switch tracks... adding static grass to the EZ track in a few areas also gave a nice "lower profile" look to the track.

Terry Toenges

I used 1/4" Woodland Scenics 12" X 24" foam sheets in two layers.
Lay the sheet under the track and cut the outline or you can mark it with a marker and take it out and cut it.
Then cut another sheet the same way. Lay the first sheet up against the track. Then lay the other sheet on top of it and you will be to butt it closer to the track. You can even bevel the under edge of the top sheet so it looks better.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Here you can see where I have the first layer of foam sheet down. You have to be pretty set in how you want your track plan, because if you want to take up your track to change it around, you have to pull up the foam and that's not a pretty sight. On the up side, your track is locked in and it's not going anywhere.

Feel like a Mogul.